1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could have been worse.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by I'll_Prove_You_Wrong, Apr 8, 2007.

1. I'll_Prove_You_Wrong

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well I'm a new member, and I've read most of people's stories about coming out, and how it was hard but you just knew you were ready. etc etc.

But what about those people who werent ready?

I go to a normal comprehensive school in a little village called Tibshelf. Ive lived in Tibshelf for my entire life and everyone knows me.
    I've kinda known about my sexuality since I was 8, when I found I was attracted to a girl I used to sit next to in 'Literacy hour'. I didnt know it at the time, but when I look back, I was just as gay then as I am now.
    So anyway, back to my coming out story.
    When I was 15 I met this girl, and she was amazing. I fell so hard for her, and her for me, and sometime in April, one of us finally got the guts to ask the other one out. Neither of us had come out to our families yet, but a couple of our friends knew, so they werent surprised when they saw us together.
    As for everyone else... After the holidays were over and we were back at school, the news started to leak out, as it does in small school communities, and we were the laughing stock of the entire school. People would stand and stare at us for our entire break and dinner times, mid day supervisors would walk past and tell us just how wrong they thought it was, and it wasnt long before my friends couldnt take it and left me to it.
    So that left me, and her. Together.
    Until my head of year got involved, and decided it would be a good idea to take me into his office.
    The conversation went something like this:
    Mr. W: Your having problems then?
    Me: Well If you count homophobia as a problem then yes I guess I am.
    Mr. W: Do your parents know about your decision?
    Me: Its not a decision! And no, they dont.
    Mr. W: Well I'm afraid if you dont tell them, I'll have to.
    Me: Excuse me? I'm not ready to tell my parents yet?
    Mr. W: We have no choice, they have to know.
    Me: Arent you supposed to be doing whats best for me?
    Mr. W: This is whats best for you.
    Me: You're forcing me to tell my parents, how is that whats best for me?!

(Sorry that its in script form, I wanna be a play writer)
    So I told my parents, and hey they were happy for me. But still, I wasnt ready to tell them.
    And nobody should be forced to do something they dont want to, because that was totally out of line, and unfair.
    If somebodies trying to force you into coming out, and you're not ready, tell them to go and shove it where the sun dont shine.

(&&&)

2. ampthejazz

That's really messed up that the teacher said that he "had to tell them." Wow that really bothers me.

But I'm glad that your parents were accepting. :slight_smile:

3. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Hey, Glad to hear that your parents took it well and I hope you and your girlfriend are still happy together. It would appear to me that your head of year wasn't doing the best for you though, unfortunately he probably felt a little bit above his station, didn't know what to do about his own opinions and so felt a need to inform your parents in a hope that they could 'talk some sense in to you'. What a complete tool!

So did your parents suspect before you told them then? Is that why they took it so easy in the end?

4. Legore

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am really sorry they had to find out "the hard way" that is absolutly no fun. Where I live homophobia is discrimanation and I try my hardest to get rid of it. Well, anywhere homophobia is dicrimanation. I would not be affraid to talk back or threaten him to get a lawyer, I have done that before, but for a different topic, me getting hurrased and the school doing absolutly nothing to stop it. I contacted GLSEN and got a lawyer. The school quickly shaped up.

5. GoodOlMe

That is a shame. If the same were to happen to me I would probably have a panic attack lol. But anywho, I am a people pleaser and I'm really nice, but when people do stuff like that or they pick on people I go balistic and pretty much make them feal really stupid and get them to shut up, you should try it sometime. You get results immediatly haha

6. crimsonarcher

is that even legal? someone forcing you to admit something to someone that is your business and your business alone?

7. I would be furious. Inconsolably furious. It is good that your parents took it well but that teacher would have received so many swears from me his head would spin

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not normally litigious but you should totally SUE that fucker's ass!

9. LorenzG1950

I fully agree with Joey. If the legal route is too much of a hassle, how about a juicy letter to the school board so that this teacher has something to remember you by and doesn't do the same thing to someone else, with more disasterous results. Glad your parents took it so well.