1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bittersweet...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by pirateninja, Jul 29, 2008.

1. pirateninja

Remember when I said that my aunt had found out aboot my article on my LGBT youth group?

http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12413

Well, as much as I felt "Well, she knows now, it's alright. No real harm..." I was completely wrong. Things have gotten maybe slightly out of hand.

Apparently, not only did she tell my mom, but nearly everyone else on mom's side of the family. Which I had absolutely no idea aboot until today.

It's only now I feel truly relieved that I had told my mom aboot my sexuality AND aboot the article aaaaages beforehand. Plus, it's just slightly relieving knowing that I came out to my grandmother a little while ago. Those are the two people I am closest to on that side of the family and I would have hated them to have found out like this.

So apparently my sexuality is now the gossip of the family, as I am the only one, and seeing as my grandmother does seem to favour my mom and me and my sister, it's almost a "blotch" to our shining reputation in the family. Plus she may have been slightly pissed that she hadn't been informed already.

Still, it's truly none of her business, and it's only now that I feel angry at her for even feeling the need for telling my mom. She had no idea whether mom knew or not, so what would have happened if she didn't? My aunt could have outed me to her and then what might have happened. It's callous. And according to my uncle, who thankfully is supportive (currently the only one as far as I know), my aunt considered it "her duty" to tell my mother, to which my uncle replied that it was none of her business. I feel a sudden surge of affection for my uncle now :grin:

So there we have it; bitter, in the fact that my aunt is an arse, who considers shit-stirring as her duty. Sweet, in that I know I now have my uncle's support amongst the growing number of people I am out too.

So to make the sweet even sweeter, when I actually apologised to my mom for the trouble the article had caused, she said to me "Don't be silly! Would you have rather not done it? You did it because you are proud and happy with who you are, and I am as well. Does it matter what they think? I'm not bothered, and neither should you be."

I'm so glad I have her. :grin:

2. Trumpetplyer23

It's good that there seems to be some good in this!

I hope your mom's side of the family isn't extremely ignornant/homophobic. I think your uncle will help prevent some of that.

3. xxAngelOnFirexx

Yeah that really sux. I came out to my family in a mass e-mail but i forgot to tell some relatives but with the family gossip I'm sure they know by now. I'm not that close to any of my relatives so i really could care less if they stopped talking to me. thata cool about your uncle though. my uncles are not supportive at all.

4. panda

What a great Mom !!

5. pirateninja

Haha, the moral of this story seems to be "yes, be loud and proud, but be sure to know that those closest to you give their support beforehand, just so you have someone to fall back on if someone else is an asshole."

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed. How bittersweet. :slight_smile: At least some people are on your side though. :grin: Shame about the aunt.

7. Cool Beans

Sorry about your aunt. She had no right at all to do that, but at least you have the support of your mother and your uncle.

8. The moral of the story? Try the moral of life. :icon_bigg

Well, at least the bad came with some good, right?

9. Leigh

Leigh Guest

Yes shame about the aunt. loving the uncles reaction though :grin:. and great mom-ness

10. Sam

Sam

Aww! that last part made me want to hug your mom! You should feel very lucky that you have your mom, grandmother, and uncle to support you. Good for your uncle for standing up to your aunt (even if it didn't work).

I totally agree with you that it wasn't any of your aunts business and she had no right to out you to everybody in the family.

Focus on the fact that you have a great mom, grandmother and uncle. Your mom seems like a great lady and it had to make you feel good when she basically said that she was proud of you.