1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out. Why did I have to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by disneyfan, Apr 21, 2014.

1. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Came out to my best friend today and it was an absolute disaster. I told her that I have never felt like a male, that I have always felt that I was female. I figured with all the friends I have, she would be the most understanding. Well, I was wrong. After I told her I was transgender, she abruptly left and I haven't heard from her for the rest of the day, which is unusual as we talk throughout the night. I feel like I destroyed a friendship because I came out with my true self. This hurts bad. :tears:

2. thrnvlpidj

I hope your friend comes around for you after thinking about it. :hug:

3. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks. I hope so too.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible that she will come round after a period of reflection. I'm sure it hurts, but given time to think about things and maybe do some reading, some people do eventually change their attitude. Sometimes, it takes longer if they realise they were wrong and need to find a way to backtrack. Don't lose hope just yet. We are here for you.

5. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you both for the kind words!

6. lovely lesbian

I'm sorry it didn't go well with your friend maybe she just needs time to process it and then maybe talk to her if she doesn't then give her more time just try and be patient with her.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your friend is a moron. A similar thing happened to me. Best friend of 7 years never saw me again when I came out to him.

Fuck them.

8. MintRefrain

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry I completely understand the sentiment! The worst thing is feeling like you did something wrong for being honest.

9. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Here's something I found a while back- I hope this cheers you up as it seems to fit the scenario.
    Link
    Not my work or my tumblr though, so I hope posting this is allowed?

10. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hit the nail on the head with that statement.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2014 at 06:59 PM ----------

Wow. Thank you. Brought me to tears.

11. Kat 5

Stay strong, my friend. She'll come around.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

She was wrong to act that way. I hope she comes around. If not, you seem like a strong woman who knows who she is and that's all that matters :slight_smile: Because you'll meet REAL friends that accept the real you.

13. Theron

Having someone come out to you, especially when it's transgender, can be very shocking, and it was likely better of her to walk away and give herself a chance to process and gather her thoughts. Just because it hurt the OP that she reacted that way doesn't make the way she reacted wrong. No one is necessarily to blame. Everyone copes and processes things in different ways and no one should be insulted if they process better alone.

I've got a couple of trans people I know from various groups/activities that I knew before they transitioned. When they came out to me, I had to walk away and process for a while before I was able to sit down and talk to them about it. I needed time to register the new gender and figure out questions I needed to ask. It's like having all of your preconceived notions about someone totally rocked and it isn't always instantaneous for someone to be able to go, "Oh, okay."

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

That's a very good point. I just hope she comes around and is more accepting.

15. Butterfly72

Hi

Maybe she just needs a little space to get things clear in her head before she comes round.
    My ex husband came out last year as m to f transgender and it took me a few days to understand and accept that my ex isn't who I had always known him (past tense) as, but was suddenly someone completely new. It is was a shock to me at first as we were together for 11 years (we divorced years ago and have two kids together) she kept it well hidden and it came out of the blue. I wanted a little space just to come to terms with it (Not that I was against it at all) just a little time to say goodbye to the man I knew and welcome and accept this women who I didn't know into my and our kids life.

Give her a little time and space for her to do this and hopefully she will come around to accept. Maybe text her in a couple of days time just to ask "Are you ok?"

x