1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So this is the story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by kyfry, Apr 25, 2014.

1. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so first of all I just want to say that Im glad that I just now stumbled upon this site. I wish I knew about it when I came out.
    Anyway I would like to share with you my coming out story.
    I had a girlfriend when I was 13. We dated for about 8 months. While I loved her, I just didnt feel a spark between us. We even tried fooling around a bit, but I just couldnt feel the spark. At that point I knew something wasnt right. I decided to end the relationship.

After trying to figure myself out I came to the realization that i liked boys. It was something that really scared me. So when I hit high school thats when I finally accepted myself, however I was no where near ready to come out. I felt that I would have been accepted by my friends and schoolmates as I was in a performing arts high school. With there already being many gay students there I knew I wouldnt have any problem coming out to anyone at school. I chose to keep my secret though.

The reason I stayed in the closet was because of my family. My family is very conservative, except for me. I also have older parents who grew up in a time when homosexuality was not only frowned upon but was deemed a mental disorder. With the fear of being rejected, I vowed to not come out until my parents were dead.

Fast forward ten years. In 2012 I had many horrible things happen to me. An eye injury, death of my dog, emergency appendectomy, followed by a skin infection two weeks after the surgery. This all happened by August. When October rolled around I started getting very depressed and very anxious. I would have nightly panic attacks. After trying different antidepressants I couldnt take it anymore, and a week before Christmas I checked myself into a hospital where I was placed in the pyschiatric unit for 4 days. While there I had time to clear my mind. At that point I realized if I ever wanted to be happy again I had to come out.

So on New Years Eve I was chatting on facebook with my friend (who happens to be a lesbian) and told her that I was gay. I knew that telling her I at least had someone who would support me. Then on January 2, 2013 I sat my parents down. I started crying. I told them that I had to be more open about myself if I was ever going to be happy again. I told them I was gay, and that no matter what they thought I was going to be the same me they have always known. I wasn’t going to change for nobody and had no care as to what anybody said about me. They told me that they loved me, and they support me, and thats all I ever really wanted to hear.

I started coming out to all my friends and then to my friends on facebook and to my coworkers. Everybody supports and loves me. Today I am open with everybody. I no longer deny that Im gay, and although I still have my issues with anxiety, i am no longer depressed and happy.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so happy for you. I had to just come out myself to my best friend last night I couldn't hold it in. I'm glad your parents are so supportive.

Feel better and live your life. I'm trying myself.