1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brave (yeah, right) coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BMC77, Apr 28, 2014.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yesterday I went to an Undisclosed Church in an Undisclosed City not too far from my Undisclosed Location. I have been there before, but not for years.

After the service, I talked to a man and woman who had also attended. We ended up talking about churches in general, including one large one near me which is very strongly anti-LGBT. That lead to me mentioning something that had been discussed in a PFLAG meeting about LGBT acceptance in churches in that Undisclosed City. And finally I decided why not? and dropped the "I'm gay" bomb. (Phrased as clarification to something I was saying, as I recall.)

Gee, how brave. Tell two people I just met, and might not ever see again, that I am gay. And it's really brave coming out in a church that almost certainly has some sort of formal LGBT acceptance policy. All in all, I should get my Metal of Coming Out Bravery any day now... :dry:

Although I guess the middle of a church is a different place to choose for coming out. :lol:

Maybe one of these days I'll get the guts needed to actually come out to someone I actually know...

Although what was nice was that neither person seemed to think it a big deal. Actually, the man--who is, as far as I can tell, straight--even hugged me on his way out. (That group seems to be hugging group. I got 3 total without even trying.)

2. Stacy in MA

Any coming out takes guts - well done!

I believe your MoCOB is on its way :icon_wink

Personally, I would like to live in a world where coming out was no big deal and routinely happened spontaneously in casual conversations at church.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

That would be nice! It can happen--as my experience showed--but not always, and not everywhere. Perhaps one day...

4. Camerooon

It's a step. Coming out is (usually) a long process, don't beat yourself up for not telling anyone you know just yet.

The first people I told were either people I didn't know in person and had no way in getting in touch with anyone I know, and the very few openly gay people I know (as I thought they might be able to understand). As you come to accept yourself more and more, you'll be able to tell people closer and closer to you. The ones that are closest are often the hardest because of some (normally irrational) fear of rejection, at least in my experience.

So don't worry, you're on the right path and doing great. (*hug*)

5. Rexmond

I imagine it wouldn't have been easy to do that in a church, let alone to strangers! Well done for that. The way I see it is, every time you out yourself, the next time will be a little easier (though that depends who it is of course!).

6. confuseduser99

It's still progress! Heck, I haven't even come out to myself yet... I'm still denying it to myself! Maybe one day soon I can admit that I may just be gay... I will say that you've definitely helped me with that process! Thanks!(*hug*)

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It counts in my book.

8. newfish

As said previously, any coming out is brave. I don't think anyone wants the first person they come out to to be homophobic. The first person I told was a close friend I KNEW would be trustworthy and accepting, then again many months later, then another month to by sister who I was also 100% sure would be accepting. If anything, strangers would be more difficult because it's being casual and open about something you've never mentioned to someone before.