1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caught in the Closet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hairdye, Apr 9, 2007.

1. hairdye

So like, I think my mother knows. As she has been given reasons to believe, that I am indeed gay. It seems the computer has been my curse, as it keeps nothing private. :tantrum:

It like wants to show my mother these things.

Ok. When I was 13, she found a link to a gay AOL chatroom.
    She asked: I said I was curious.

When I had just turned 16, she found pictures of guys on the computer.
    And not just pictures, you know the kind where there half naked with water running all over there body? That kind.
    She asked: I said I wasn't sure why I looked at them, but it wouldn't happen again.

A couple months back, I was telling her how I wasn't that in to my girlfriend or something, and she suggested that to some people, it may look like, "I was using her as a front, to cover something up."

She takes me shopping with her, because she likes the clothes I pick out...

Then this morning she found more of those pictures and the like.
    ...I made no excuse this time.

Think she knows? I do. ;x

But I can't bring myself to tell her, as this one time, we had a conversation about my best friend, and her lesbianism. She argued how it just wasn't right, that women and men are supposed to be together and produce. I put up and argument of it doesn't matter who you're with, if you want kids, you'll have them. It matters about who you love. [that probably didn't help my case]

But the fact that she argued the idea, doesn't make it sound good. And whenever she sees a gay person or show on TV, where the homosexuality is flaunted [shows that include gay people, but aren't the topic of discussion are fine] she makes stupid comments about.

Back in Elementary, kids used to chase me around the playground and call me gay. When I asked what it was and she told me, I asked her constantly if she would love me if I turned out to be gay. She said of course. Then again, I never asked if she would see me different, hadn't thought of that. :/ Can't ask now though, cause no matter her answer, she'd know. ;x

2. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi hairdye, im 16 and only a couple of my closest high school mates know that im gay. I think that maybe my 13yo brother might suspect something but my 10yo bro and mum & dad really have no idea. I get teased a bit at school because im the shortest in my whole form, some of the kids in 1st year high school are my height and even taller. Ive just turned 16 but could probably pass for a 12yo. I also get called gay-boy, blonde-bimbo etc etc but have a couple of really good mates that stand up for me. Im also a hopeless fighter. Sure the couple of guys that do pick on me are my age but are twice as big (im only a skiiny little runt!!!).....
    Anyway mate one day soon im going to have to make a decision and come out and tell my family and will probably have to do it soon.

3. hairdye

Well, from my experience it'd be easier if you came out. Sure, I'm not out yet, but people don't pick on me as I'm no, "skinny runt". Hahaha.

But back in middle school, I used to get teased and called gayboy to, just like in elementary. I used to get it a lot to. However, I noticed that, this one guy, who everyone knew was gay, didn't get picked on at all. Maybe if you came out, they'd accept that and just move on.

I think they feed off your insecurity. Then again, you do live in a completely different region than I do, so people may not be the same.

4. xequar

Having just recently come out to my parents, and judging from what you've written here, I would feel pretty safe saying that your mom already knows, and if you were to tell her, it would probably do both of you some good. It would allow you to get on with your life, in some respects, and it would remove that doubt from her mind and allow her to deal with the situation properly. I say that because that is one comment my mom made to me the day after I came out, that although she knew for a long time, that me coming out made it final. It takes some doing, but I think it's definately worth it.

5. hairdye

Well, if only it were that easy. See, I wanna be a screen actor one day. And I'm no fool, I know it's hard to make it to the A-List when you're gay. So, I can't exactly come out to everyone. And if my mom knew, I just couldn't not tell my friends.

6. Stewie_r

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, you seem to have a pretty mean and gossipy computer LOL
    Like others said, it would be easier to come out to your mom if she suspects something, so i guess it would make things easier, but you don't have to come out to everyone just yet, you can do it whenever you feel sure about it. It's just my opinion.
    Why would you have to tell your friends if your mom knew?...just wondering.
    Stories like yours make me happy that my parentas have no clue when it comes to computers :eusa_danc

7. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah mate i think that your right. i will have to do something soon!

8. 94nat

I sort of get teased a bit at school also. I was ok in primary school but now I'm in my 2nd year of high school and a couple of kids from 10th grade (which is the next form up from me) do tend to pick on me at our bus stop. One called me a faggot but I don't really care.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell them only gay people can recognise other gay people. :icon_bigg

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hard but not impossible. And hopefully getting easier all the time. Look at Neil Patrick Harris and T.R. McKnight.

I'm pretty sure your mum already knows. And I really don't think it's the computer that wanted to tell her.

As for the arguments she's made against it and the stupid things she's said, well... people can be really ignorant when they don't know anything about something AND on top of that they're scared of it. Parents are people too... that should be some kind of rule that everyone has to learn (including parents!).

It's very very easy to mock or say derogatory things about people you know nothing about--that's why so many people are so intent on as many people coming out as possible: if you know people who are non-straight, you are that much more likely to realise they're people just like you and thus deserving of respect and dignity rather than scorn and derision.

11. GuitarGirl1350

That'd be just Knight. Not MCKnight.

Not to be picky.
    But I love TR.

12. hairdye

Well, I'm not sure who, T.R. Knight is. But the case with NPH, you have to remember, he didn't come out, before made it up to the A-List. He came out once he was old news and off the A-List. Same goes for Lance Bass. Fame for gay men is much harder.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hairdye, it really sounds like your mom knows. Just tell her and get it out in the open. Sometimes people make remarks about gays or lesbians without really thinking about it. When its one of your "own" it becomes a whole different story. Then we are faced with our own biases and prejudices and we become better human beings because of it.

14. dhutchid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of the time comments about gay people are because they cannot think of a better adjective and i find it really annoying.

There is little point denying what is already obvious to someone - my friend found out by finding files on my computer even though i go to great efforts to wipe them. I didn't find it easy to do but it would have been ilogical to try and deny a file marked gayvideo or whatever.

Wonder why so many gay people are picked on before they come out. How do they know we were gay before we came out ourselves? Maybe equal numbers of straight and gay people are picked on but i think it seems higher.

15. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Believe me folks usually know.

16. Cooper Day

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like Mom knows and also sounds like Mom loves you without exception. Keep the talk light and casual. As time goes she will probably ask you... but in her own time. Do you really need to "come out" to her? Think it over. Some parents (actually ALL of them) need time to accept their gay children.
    Peace and much love!

17. Wired106

hey Hairdye, im guessing that your mom already knows and the only reason she makes fun of that stuff is probably because shes trying to "ungay" you (if thats a word lol), sorry if thats offensive to anyone lol. I kinda wish I was straight myself, because it seems like it would make it easier for me and I wouldnt be so obssessed over my best friend.

18. Wired106

O ya, and another thing, since she mostlikely knows you are probably better off telling her eventually because you know she will still love you. I know for me, my dad is for gay marriage even though he isnt gay and my mom is i think. But even though my mom acts sometimes like shes not supportive with that sort of stuff, I know for a fact that if I told her, she would be okay with it because I get along really well with everyone in my family and especially with my mom cause we go shopping all the time.

19. iPieman

Mother knows best and believe me, the excuses you used to cover up your "gay escapades" wouldn't wash for a minute.

Yes, your computer has sold you out a few times; but look at that as a kind of 'first step'.

20. Alexander

I have basically the same situation. :grin: Just remember that a poet once said:
    "Many things happen, seemingly destructive. It is up to us, the people to respond. Much that seems destructive can help us in it's own way."