1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom forced it out of me. Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Beetle, May 5, 2014.

1. Beetle

So, a few days after coming out to my dad, I came out to my mom. Well, she kinda forced it out of me.

She was watching Fox News, I was sitting near her but on my laptop watching Castle. I overheard her making comments about what she was watching, some lady arguing with Laura Ingraham about separation of church and state. My mom isn't exactly religious in the sense that she goes to church and follows the bible, but she defends Christians anyways and thinks they can do no wrong. She basically said this lady was full of shit. I decided to chime in on why she isn't, and we had a bit of an argument. It eventually led to me providing examples of horrible things done to people in the name of religion, and of course she denies it. It went onto the subject of gays and despite me providing evidence on why religion is a main reason why gays are denied rights, she refuses to believe it. She then asked me if "I liked girls."

I spill out my whole story and I'm shaking, both at how angry I am and how scared I am. She said it didn't matter, but she "still thinks it's wrong," but I can live the way I want. She's not upset over it. In our discussion, she can basically be summed up as "I'm allowed to have my bigoted opinion, you can live the way you want but I don't agree with it."

Stuff she said:
    -Gay marriage is wrong. I ask why, she can only reply "because." She says she doesn't care what they do, so I reply "then you shouldn't care if they get married."
    -I tell her the main reason why we don't have rights is because of religion and she can only reply with "no."
    -Gays have a "lifestyle" and shouldn't adopt children and expose them to this. I tell her there is no "lifestyle" and she refuses to believe otherwise and just talks over me "yes there is!"
    -"I came from a different time."
    -I told her parents have killed their gay children before and she didn't believe it.
    -She thinks Christians don't kill and only Muslims do that.
    -She said if they don't like it, "they can learn to live by themselves."

It's so hard to convince her otherwise because she's always hated being proven wrong and even refuses to be proven wrong and is so set in her ways. I do want her to open up more and see the other side and what we go through instead of being spoonfed bullshit that's spewed out by right winged people, so how should I go about doing this?

2. oliro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Her hatred of many kinds of people must really impact you. I wish you luck

3. Beetle

Thanks. I hope she changes. It's obvious she knows she's wrong but is in denial about it. They say ignorance is bliss and I really believe she likes being ignorant. She sees things so one sided and refuses to see the other side.