1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to more friends...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Lychee, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Lychee

Background info: Okay, well, even though some of my friends had a massive discussion about sexuality one lunchtime in which both me and another friend admitted to being bi, it seems that the word hadn't spread to the rest of my friendship group. Which is really odd, we're such gossips :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, I was at a party on Friday night, and there were the hottest French guys (didn't speak a word of English either) so my friends and I were just standing there discussing which one was hotter, and then as a joke I ask this guy who I'm friends with which one he finds hotter, coz he was just standing there looking out of the discussion, and he replies "I'm not gay," so I tell him that he doesn't have to be gay to like a guy, to which he says "I'm not bi either."

At that a female friend who was standing next to me turns to me and says jokingly "Why? Are you bi" and I'm like "Umm... yeah." She didn't believe me at first so I was like "I thought everyone knew!" So she turns to another (female) friend who wasn't at the discussion that day and says "Did you know (Lychee) is bi?" and turns out she didn't know either.

I thought it was really random, because 2nd female friend goes "Omg, that's so cool... Am I hot?!" (she is) but I told her that I wasn't going to answer that question, and she was cool with that.

So yeah, thats a few more friends who know now.

I'm just scared that somehow word will spread to my mum. Who absolutely hates bisexuals. One day we had a discussion that went something like:

mum: bisexuals are stupid
    me: why?
    mum: why can't they just pick! You can't have the best of both worlds
    me: noone choose their sexual orientation!
    mum: Well, its unhygienic.
    me: just because you are bisexual doesn't mean you sleep around or sleep with both men and women. it just means you're sexually attracted to them
    mum: i'd much prefer you to be a lesbian or straight.
    me: well, i'm sorry, but i'm not going to conform to your expectations of me
    mum: are you bisexual? (in a mocking tone)
    me: maybe I am. do you think I'd be comfortable telling you after this conversation!?
    mum: don't be stupid. you're straight.

At which I refused to talk to her for the next few hours.

So yeah, I really can't have her finding out :S

Even though I'm happy about more people knowing, I'm just apprehensive.

2. Nick

Too bad for the guy who said he wasn't gay or bi... Those Frenchies were hot (just so you know, I wasn't there, but I've seen photos)

I think it's rather odd your mum would be okay if you were a lesbian and not bisexual, but I suppose that everyone is different...

And I have to say, I am actually rather surprised that your friends didn't know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done for coming out to your friends. It seemed like it was really easy, and I'm glad they reacted well

I can't give much advice about your mum, I don't understand her logic.

4. XXX Lou XXX

I'm glad that your friends took it well, congratulations on telling them. :thumbsup: Sorry to hear your mum didn't take it too well though, hopefully she'll come round and accept you. (*hug*)

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friends. Glad it went well for you.

As for coming out to your mom, take your time. Don't rush it. It is quite possible that your mom has these ideas because there is quite a bit of misinformation out there. Education might be the best way to try changing her views on bisexuality. That said, you already informed her about your sexual orientation and your statement "maybe I am" might have given her something to think about. Often, even if parents are against their child's sexual orientation, they will still come around to it, because they love their child. For some it might take longer but eventually they will. But do take your time.

6. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Well done for coming out to your friends! And they sound pretty cool with it, which is awesome.

I'm sorry about your mum and her views on bisexuality. I second what Asteroid says, and think a lot of it has to do with misinformation. But you can cross that bridge when you come to it, and we'll help you :slight_smile:

7. Leigh

Leigh Guest

congrats on your friends!
    sorry about your mums attitude, but for what its worth i think you handled it really well..