1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So i told my brother I'm bi....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Caelum, May 20, 2014.

1. Caelum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure on how to feel about his reaction?

We were talking on the phone because he lives in Australia. He's ten years older than myself and we don't get the change to converse like this often because - well, there's no real reason other than we don't ring each other often or talk that much online or anything.

We've got a fairly good relationship, if somewhat distant.

We weren't talking about much, a concert I had went to the day earlier, soccer, getting a drivers license, our birthday (it's coming up in a few days and interestingly enough we share a birthday -- I like to call him my 'twin' brother) and the time came that soon enough I should be passing on the phone to one of my siblings. I knew I wouldn't be talking to him again for ages, and I'm already out to my best friend and the rest of my close family so I just kinda of blurted out a "by the way I'm bi just so you know"

He took it well, although he did ask the question of how did I know which I just told him that I'd known for a while and I was in the process of coming out now finally. I mean that's all good and he told me it didn't matter what my preferences were and he was supportive.

I heard later that evening when he talked to mom about it that he seemed kind of nonplussed by it. Or rather the idea that I felt the need to tell him about my sexuality...

So I'm happy that he took it really well, but I'm also slightly confused.

2. Clay

I'd take that as a good reaction. It's such a small thing to him that it makes literally no difference in your relationship.

3. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with Pluvia. I told my cousin and she said that she was proud of me.

4. Tracks

Congrats on having a supportive family! Why are you confused? I wish I could tell my family about me, so be glad you have people in your corner.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congrats on coming out. Great that it went well.

I would agree with what Pluvia has mentioned. I wouldn't worry about the reaction although I can see why you might feel confused. When one tries to come out, and at times, one builds up certain expectations as to what the other person will say, or how they will react. When it does not happen, it can leave one a bit confused, or with the question 'what's going on?' as the reaction does not match what was expected.

Take the great coming out in. Well done. :slight_smile:

6. Kat777

Seems like a fairly good reaction, could have been worse. Well done! :grin: