1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out, one person at a time.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Toast, May 21, 2014.

1. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I came out to my mom last Friday. That was... Interesting. She was pretty open about it, asked questions, but didn't belittle my thoughts. She did express a sorry that maybe it was just a phase, one that I kinda shared, but now I'm almost sure its not. I guess time will tell.

Today I came out to a good friend of mine. She's pretty much the most accepting and non-judgemental person I've ever met. She has basically no character flaws. She asked one question, 'how do you know?' And it wasn't doubtful at all. She was just curious. So I explained, and she smiled and accepted it.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Ooh, congratulations!!!!
    I'm glad they were cool with it.:slight_smile:

3. girlpower

hey! thats so cool. congrats! i wish i could do it too...

4. Tracks

That's pretty sweet.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mom, and to your friend! Glad that both coming outs went well, and that you have received support. :slight_smile:

6. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I came out to my absolute best friend today. Her opinion was really the one that would matter most. I asked her, "What do you think of homosexual relationships?" She shrugged and said she didn't care. "I'd be hypocritical if I didn't like them. I'm half and half myself." So awesome! She currently has a boyfriend, who is pretty cool, but to find out that she's bisexual is really comforting. I'm not the odd duck out!

7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks like you are on a roll, and are increasingly becoming comfortable with being out. Glad that your coming out journey has gone so well, and that you have only received support. It's neat that you are also discovering things about your friends along the way. :slight_smile:

8. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm pretty much starting with the people I'm most certain will support me. I'll prolly wait until I absolutely have to to tell the more questionable people. I don't want to cause conflict any sooner than I have to.

It feels good, though, to get this off my chest. I never realized how much it was weighing on me until I acknowledged it and revealed it!

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad that you are feeling a sense of relief and that some weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

Building your support network by coming out to people, who you know are going to support you, first, is a very good coming out strategy. :slight_smile: