1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swept under the rug

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nana, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Nana

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well
    I came out to my family at different times last school year.
    My little sister actually knew a year before that, because she approched ME with some of HER feelings and questioning herself :icon_bigg .
    My dad was really cool with it. He kinda was like eh w/e thats cool. Now we can watch tv together and joke like oh yeah she's hot. hahah its fun and i know he doesnt care and loves me all the same.
    However, my mother....not so much
    She wouldn't talk only fight with me for weeks and weeks. She thought it was somehting (still does really) that I'm doing to her on purpose to make her life harder and embarass her. Apparently she thinks people will look at her funny because of my choices. She actually told me that I should not be gay or be with a girl and deny my happiness just because she didn't agree with it.
    It hurts really bad but recently I haven't had to think about ti because she just likes to sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist.
    *sigh*
    oh well

Hopefully she'll get better over time.

2. dckt06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, that's cool that your dad is okay with it, but hopefully your mom will come around. Makes me wonder how it will go for me because I am not out to the parents yet.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Well done in coming out to your family. You should be proud of that.

I'm sorry about your mom's reaction. Your mom is in denial and it will take her a while to get over the shock. Often our parents have their own ideas/dreams for us and when they realize that this is not going to happen, at times it is hard for them to let go of it. But do know that you mom still loves you. With time, she will come around to it. She will see that you have not changed and that you are still you. Has your dad tried to talk to her?

What might help, try giving her some PFLAG material to read. You can download it from the PFLAG website (http://community.pflag.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=539&srcid=539). Feel free to pm Becky who will also be able to help you in obtaining some information for your mom.

I hope this helps!

4. Nana

Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks! yeah that's very encouraging.
    i really hope things work out, and i think you're right about her having a "plan" for me.
    Unfortunatly, my mother and fathers relationship aren't really wonderful right now and im afraid im causing more problems for them
    but thanks im grateful for you support :slight_smile:

5. Sam

Sam

Your dad sounds great and I think your mom will eventually come around she just needs time and to get over what others will think.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear that the relationship between your parents isn't as great right now. Hopefully they can work out their differences. I am absolutely sure that you are not causing more problems. You never do.

If you ever need to talk or need to vent, please feel free to pm any of the EC advisors (biisme, biloved86, MeskElil, Lexington or myself) by clicking on our user name and selecting "send a private message." We are here to help.

7. Eponine

I'm glad to hear that your father is so cool about it. Just give your mom some time and hopefully sooner than later, she'll realize that your happiness is worth so much more than what other people think.

8. -Michael-

Haha are most dads excepting to their lesbian/bisexual daughters?
    Because fathers a very protective arent they...
    ...so maybe they're like;
    'sweeet. No worrying about boys now :wink:' aha just a theory.

I think its so good that your dad does accept you.
    But in my opinion your mother is just in shock, give it time and she'll adjust.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a bit sad that your mother is being like this. Sometimes, some people only view things via their effect on themselves. My friend calls it the "Busload of Orphans Effect". He says, "If a busload of orphans crashes on the highway, there's gonna be at least one person stuck in traffic behind it bemoaning 'Why is THIS happening to ME?!'." :slight_smile: With some people, it's temporary - with others, it's a chronic condition. Here's hoping your mother is in the former category.

All you can really do is tell your mother you love her, but your sexuality has absolutely nothing to do with her. It's your own thing that you're going through, you sincerely hope it won't cause her any problems or grief along the way, but you're gonna have to do what you have to do.

Lex

10. Nana

Out Status:
    Some people
    hahahah yeah your theory is probably right >.<
    he's like....welll at least you can't get pregnant
    hahaha *rolls eyes*

11. Tommy Price

Tommy Price Guest

Wow your Dad sounds really cool. My Mother told my Dad. He is fine with it, but we have a silent understanding never to discuss or talk about it. To be fair my family don't talk about sexuality or feelings at all.