1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mirko, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The other evening I met a guy from a local GLBT group that I have joined recently to share experiences about coming out at a local coffee shop. It took us a few minutes to get into the topic at hand, but once I asked the question "what kind of an experience did you have with coming out?" the conversation just took on a life of its own and it was great. Actually, it was amazing. We talked for two and a half hours and I found myself being able to relate to someone who was sitting just a meter away from me. During the conversation I started to discover things that I didn't know about myself. Usually I am pretty shy around people that I don't know very well. Not that night. I think my 'limited experience' in coming out to others has allowed me to open up and to put some of my fears aside. I think I needed to talk to someone in person who has gone through it all to realize once again that it is okay to be who I am. Listening to him, all I could think about was that things will work out and that sooner or later I will be able to take the next steps.

Although I have come out to a friend in a coffee shop, for me this was like taking another step in being me. I was able to talk openly about my feelings and fears with someone who has gone through similar things without worrying what other people (four elderly men sitting at the next table) would think about me or us for that matter.

Once we said our goodbyes all I could think of was how happy I am. I didn't question myself (as I usually do) of whether I did the right thing. I think I just new it was the right thing to do. It was a great experience....

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! It really is a great feeling just being who you are. Even though I'm not gay, I've had similar experiences. I remember driving home from PFLAG one night just really happy with the events of the night. I was listening to Queen in my CD player and thought "YES! This is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with my life!" :slight_smile:

3. silentsound

Wow that is so great! That is a huge step, you must be so happy! I love those moments when it all just clicks and suddenly you just feel like "yeah, this is who I am and that's totally fine, in fact it's exactly who I should be and I am totally content with that." I am so happy for you!

4. Lychee

Congratz :]

Thats awesome

5. Jim1454

That's SO GREAT!!! I'm so glad you went to that group and have started to interact in person like that! Good for you!