1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coming Out....sorta

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Revan, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this is my coming out story to my friends and to my family which the latter didn't really work. I'm pretty sure I didn't post this anywhere else. Oh and if your wondering, my name was two years ago wheen I thought I was Bi and I think I should really see if they can change it...

So for my school thing what happened was in Grade 10 (I'm now in what use to be known as Grade 13/OAC) I started realising I had feelings for boys but because of how my town is I tried to deny it, that I didn't want people to know because I'd be discriminated against. But in Grade 11 I decided to start telling people, slowly with my closest friends then branching out. However, one of the friends I told took the conversation we had on MSN and pasted it into an email that she sent to half the school, and of course it just went from half the school to one person sending it to their friends who sent it to their friends, etc etc. But because of this I basically was outed. Then I also made a Yahoo personals profile in which a girl at my school found and printed off copies of it and passed it around the school. After this pretty much everyone knew. If anyone didn't I just told them because at the time I finally realized I liked boys and only boys. So that is my story with school, and as of now no one hates me or beats me up because of my being gay, the only reason they maybe dislike me is because I tend to flaunt it or be so in your face with it. But I am trying to mend fences by taking it down a notch or two.

Now onto the family....

I tried coming out to them two years ago, of course I had just recently come out to myself at the time so it was harder to defend myself, but it didn't go as planned. I wrote a letter to them and they confronted me about it. When paving the driveway an hour later my mom asked me if I could see myself kissing a boy and I told her "I don't know". She began to almost cry and told me she couldn't have me in the house ruining her reputation in the city as the gay son and told me she'd take me wherever just as long as it was out of the house. I packed my bags and thought I was about to leave but she stopped me as she was talking to her parents (my grandparents). I stayed but had to talk to my aunt who asked me questions like what do you get an erection to a boy or a girl and such, and I answered the opposite of what I wanted to. Eventually the day ended with me telling her I wanted the toned body structure of a guy not to actually be with guys. I'm sure she still realizes I'm gay but just can't confront me about it. She will make references to the gay thing but never actually ask if I'm gay. But I'm pretty sure that if she thought I wasn't gay she wouldn't still be talking about the topic. I'm going to be coming out in June and have contacts with the closest PFLAG chapter who has offered to come and talk when I need help with Mom and Dad. But all I can do is hope and pray. I know that I'm not going to be truly happy until I come out. My last relationship actually ended with me breaking up with him because I was going through a depression that I think partially came from my constant lying to my parents about where I was going. (Of course I eventually also didn't really feel that special feeling with him, it was more just kissing but no passion from me.)

2. Double Dubya

Your parents sound a lot like my step family and I know how hard it is to live a lie. I am in the very same predicament as yourself. There are many people on here (including myself) who are willing to talk with you, if you ever need anything.

Welcome to EC, I'm glad that you found this website, it is sure to help.
    WW

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh... wow, some of the people at your school sound AWFUL! I was out of school by the time the Internet had made a big splash but wow is that ever... well, just spiteful and super-childish. I'm glad it's worked out okay for you in the end but that must have been rough!

As for your parents--wow again, that does not sound even remotely fun. They were going to kick you out? That's appalling. And then they grilled you and essentially pressured you to lie so you wouldn't be out on the street?

I am so, so sorry. I'm so glad you're in contact with PFLAG, though. The PFLAG group here in Vancouver is great and me and my mum went to their meetings for quite a while early on when I was out. I think it really helped both of us to understand each other's point of view. Hopefully the PFLAG people out where you are can talk some sense into your parents. I mean, okay, it's not the easiest thing to deal with and no one's expecting everyone to react perfectly but you should never have had to go through what you went through!