1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom, not what I expected

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Tardis221B, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

So I am bisexual with a preference for women, however that varies day by day. But I've beed questioning myself for almost 2 years, and in the last 7 months I realized that I like girls. Finally just within the past month I've began to be comfortable saying that I like girls.

I came out to my best friend a few weeks ago, and it was the perfect coming out, I swear it was almost like fairy tale perfect. Even though he didn't have the slightest clue that I wasn't straight he was extremely supportive. We both opened up and shared personal struggles and I didn't feel like I was on display when I was sharing this with him. I didn't feel like he was judging me, he simply listened and gave kind advice. He told me not to worry, and that everything would work out. He reassured me that our other friends wouldn't have the slightest issue with it. I swear the whole time I thought I was dreaming. He was 110% supportive and told me that "love is love and thats all that matters". And he said not to hesitate to contact him over the summer if I needed anyone to talk to.

Needless to say, he had set the bar pretty high in my book for coming out. But unfortunately I now realize that this type of coming out out is about as rare as a unicorn.

After telling him, I felt much more confident in my label and identity and decided I should tell my mom. I had assumed that she already knew I liked girls, but I wasn't positive. Well, it turns out she had no idea.

My mom was completely shocked, but she didn't have a problem with it. It was an adequate coming out. I guess. I didn't really feel the love though like when I told my friend. My mother of course had to ask "how do you know?" And i just responded with well "how do you know you're straight?"

She then cried not out of happiness, but because she was worried at what her friends would say when she told them. Never mind the fact that I told her I don't want her telling people. She was overly concerned with how she would now respond to their questions "does your daughter have a boyfriend?" I told her to answer truthfully, no i don't have a boyfriend. She was very confused by the fact that I don't look or act like a lesbian. The stereotypical lesbian that would be. (Even though specifically said that I'm bisexual with preference for women, she just heard gay.) I took about an hour to explain to her that I like some guys, as I do experience strong emotional connections to them. And she told me that she thought/thinks my brother is gay not me. But overall her response wasn't too bad and she was 'accepting'.

However the next day I learned that she just thinks I'm confused. No, I'm not confused, but it is a bit confusing having a fluctuating attraction. I tried to better explain bisexuality to her. I could end up with a boyfriend or I could end up with a girlfriend, but I who I'm with wouldn't make my attraction to the same or opposite sex disappear. I told her to stop worrying what her friends would say. They don't need to know, my sexuality is a very personal thing and I don't need people who I hardly even know knowing about one of the most central and personal things about me.

Needless to say her motherly concern has just caused me frustration and replanted seeds of doubt in my mind. And of course to add more stress to me she is pressuring me to tell my dad. He'll be fine with it, but I'm not ready to tell him. She just wants me to tell him so she can have someone else to talk to about this.

I regret telling her.

2. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Don't regret telling her. You did the right thing. Congrats:slight_smile: It is up to you to tell other people, not her. Make that clear. Give her time to process everything and ask questions. Don't let her worrying doubt you either. If she's open to it, give her a book to read about having an LGBT family member or take her to a PFLAG meeting. Good luck!

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aren't PFLAG meetings for high schoolers and younger or is that a misnomer?

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    PFLAG has no age limits that I'm aware of.

The chapter I attended, in fact, had several parents with children well above 18. And they had no problem with newly-out-to-himself 42 year old (me) attending.

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2014 at 08:24 PM ----------

Of course, I guess it's possible that PFLAG policies may vary chapter to chapter. I believe each chapter is independent, locally based.