1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mixed and awkward reception from mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by SensesFailX, Jun 8, 2014.

1. SensesFailX

So a few months back, my boyfriend had been sort of pressing me to come out to my mom in the hopes that she'd be accepting and that we could skype more and eventually visit. When I did come out to her it wasn't quite what I expected (although honestly I had no clue what to expect)

So I sat her down and told her "I'm gay" and she just slowly replied with "no.. (my name).. thats so bad...". After this she literally said EVERY single typical thing such as-

Its a sin, god and the bible say its bad

You're going to get aids and have all this anal sex (which I don't like btw)

I'm never going to have grandkids (planning on adopting so not true)

And a whole bunch of other crap about how she wanted me to grow up and be with a woman not a man and stuff. She wasn't angry at all.. she was just suuper sad, dissappointed. The whole conversation basically revolved around her thinking I'm going to get AIDS. She thinks that its just a phase, that I haven't met the right girl. I had to ask if she still loved me and all and initate the hug or else she would have just sat there in quiet tears.

Anyhow I also told her I had a boyfriend and she refered to him as such when she noticed me texting him after that. We haven't mentioned the subject more than once or twice since, and its extremely awkward. She's always pointing out girls and trying to get me to find one attractive, frantically trying to make me turn straight.

I'm wondering if she's forgotten by now, and I don't plan on coming out a second time. Now before you tell me how lucky I am (which I am, and I understand it could have been SOO much worse), has anyone else had this experience?

By this I mean, came out to a parent, had them be very sad about it, and then the subject is never mentioned again and almost forgotten?

2. Gallatin

Yeah, I kind of had that. My mom said a lot of similar things, minus the religious stuff. Afterwards, the issue was never brought up unless I forced it. Eventually she came around, though. Just took time.