1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh My God!!! I Did It!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Hidden Angel, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I don't know if I'm insane or what but I came out to my parents last night!!!!
    Dad's ok with it but seems to insist it's a phase and things can change.
    Mum however is barely talking to me even if I ask her a direct question.

I don't know where to go from here.
    Please tell me things will get better - but then again don't lie if they won't.

2. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

Congratulations!(!) I dont know if things will change but my internet friends parents reacted the same way. Took the mother a week but the father got worse:icon_sad:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congratulations on taking that step.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't get a more positive response. But I am sure that your parents will come around to it. Give your parents some time to adjust to it. As beyondken mentioned, try giving them some PFLAG materials to read. Education is often the key. As parents educate themselves about homosexuality they will understand it better and it can help them to overcome the shock and denial. You will find information/booklets for parents that you can print out for them on any PFLAG website. Also, feel free to pm Becky if you need or want some more information.

With time things will get better and your parents will come around to it.

4. ctw0625

ctw0625 Guest

congrats! the others kinda hit the points i was going to make, just give them time and try the pflag stuff. nobody can promise that your parents will come to fully accept it, but i do know that no matter what, itll be ok. they didnt seem to take it TOO badly tho. many parents see it as a phase at first and maybe your mom IS a bit disappointed. time can heal both of these. if things do get worse, just remember you have all the support of your friends both at home and on ec. good luck! ^_^

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well I can tell by your subject line that you feel better no matter what the outcome with your parents. Of course you have opened the door and they are probably going to say some stupid things in which you are going to have to supply them with the education that they need to get through this. Congratulations and let me know if I can help with the PFLAG stuff.

6. silentsound

Well congratulations! I think that it will get better, you just have to give them some time to wrap their heads around it. I do hope everything works out ok! (and of course employing pflag, etc. is always good)

7. Ronnie92

Congrats I hope that everything will turn out for the best and remember you always have shoulders to lean on here (!)(*hug*)(!)(*hug*)(!)

8. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Congratulations! That's really brilliant that you managed to come out to them!

Sorry that the reaction from your mum was less than you would have liked. I don't know whether it will get better or not, but she's probably in shock, and trying to figure out what to say and think, so I'd give her room to say silly/hurtful things for the moment, whilst she figures it out. I don't mean tolerate these things! - I mean that at first at least it's probably to be expected.

But I hope things get better. And congratulations again! Now that your parents know, they can begin on the path to understanding and acceptance.

(!) (!)

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main thing to keep in mind is that you've had months (years?) to mull this over.
    They've had a couple hours.
    Give them some time to catch up. :slight_smile:

And congratulations.

Lex

10. -Michael-

Same as lex.

Almost every parent does this.
    Just give them time.

things always get better.

WOOO lets get a bit of D:ream going on...
    Things can only get better
    Can only get, can only get
    They get on from here
    You know, I know that
    Things can only get better

11. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

First of all congrats and from what I've heard from other people things will deff. get better and easier in the future. But remember this coming out is a continuous process.

12. Sam

Sam

I can't promise things will get better but I do believe they will. Parents sometimes just need some time to get used to the idea that their child isn't following the dreams they had for them. Just give them some time and try to be understanding I think they will come around. Congrats!

13. coreyjazz23

I came out to my parents about 6 months ago and now both of them treat me the same as they did before I came out...with love, respect, and now i have people i can go to for all my issues. So I do hope your parents are as accepting as mine were.

14. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Update.... well there have defiantly been some stupid things and my Mum insulted me in all possible ways and I cried myself to sleep. But this morning before I went to school I left her a note and some information that my school counselor had given me to give her. We have talked it over and things are better now even though I know it is going to take her ages to get used to it. Her main fear at the moment is that she has failed as a mother and what other people are going to think. I've tried telling her she hasn't and that it doesn't matter what other people think but I not sure it got through. I hope it did but I'm not sure.

Thanks for all the support everyone!!!!!

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They're both in different stages of denial, but hopefully they'll come around eventually. With your mom, I'm not certain just what she's concerned about - what people will think of you and if they might bully you, or what people will think of her ("Oh, she's got a gay son, how awful")? Either way, I hope she figures out quickly how little it matters.