1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to two of my friends! Hopefully the first of many!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by confuseduser99, Jun 14, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

So I was hanging out with a couple of my friends yesterday. I had to give one of them her birthday gift since I forgot to give it to her when we were out celebrating (we went to a gay bar - she isn't gay, and she didn't know that I was at the time).

Anyway, we were chatting. I wanted to ease myself into the conversation if coming out, so I asked about a mutual friend who's gay. I asked if he came out, when, how, and how they felt. The gay convo lasted over an hour (talking about how it's hard for people to come out - I kept on saying this, and how people are more accepting nowadays - my friends kept on saying). At the end of the convo, I wanted to say the words "I'm gay", but I couldn't. I almost did a couple of times, but I froze and just stopped short of saying t.

A couple of drinks later, we were talking about our "deep secrets". When it came to my tuen, I said "really? Can't you guess?" They both said no. I then said "seriously? It's the elephant in the room... We've been talking about this all night". One of my friends said "I think I know but I don't wanna say". I said "just say it". She mumbled "what? Is it that you're gay?" I said "yup. You got it!" They both were like, really?

We then chatted about this for a little while. Apparently there were rumours of me possibly being gay. Some people from my elementary school (who I haven't seen or talked to in YEARS) speculated that I was gay in high school for some reason. Even one of my friends kinda thought about it once, but then just said "until he comes out, I'll assume he's straight".

My other friend (the birthday girl) said "now this makes sense! You were so comfortable at the gay bar. I knew you were always kind of against gays" (I used to be homophobic). "But when the two guys were hitting on you and inviting you to go to that erotic dance club, you didn't say anything. You were like 'yeah, I'll join you guys' and I was about to tell you 'ugh, they're totally hitting on you...'" (Funny thing is that I didn't know they were supposedly hitting on me).

My two friends were very accepting. They said they both feel very special for me coming out to them first (before other friends). They said that I'm still the same, that they don't see me differently, and that they're proud of me for coming out.

I guess the night went well! We're supposed to hang out again next week! It'll definitely be even more enjoyable for me since I won't be sitting there, worrying, having that lingering feeling about saying the words and coming out.

It feels great! 2 down! Several more to go!

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup: Big thumbs up

3. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

Hey, congrats :slight_smile:

4. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome! I'm so proud of you! :slight_smile: I know that wasn't easy, but it helped that your friend was the one who actually said the words, and you should confirmed they were right.

Must admit, I'm a little jealous. I've accepted I was gay quite a while ago (several years), but you're already out to more people than me, and you just recently accepted that you were gay! lol That's so awesome, though. Very happy for ya! (*hug*)

5. confuseduser99

6. Kabuki

Congrats! I'm very happy for you! You're not wasting time man :grin: Really... I'm glad you could be honest to them, this just helps you have a great circle of friends that support you and help you when you come out to other of your friends. This is great! Woot!!

You are slowly, but surely, paving your way to a better life... I really mean it when I say that being out is the best you can do. I'm sure that the coldness you talk about is going to slowly melt away and you'll finally be able to be yourself in every way. (*hug*)

7. confuseduser99

THANKS! (*hug*) Yup, I'm peeling away the layers and starting to come out! It's even getting easier referring to myself as "gay". I mean, it's almost been 2 months since I've accepted myself as gay, and today made it 1 month since i've come out to my mom and one of my sisters.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you.

I came out to my 2 college friends today at my alma mater's campus no less. It was a good day despite feeling tired most of the time.

9. Gallatin

I'm glad they were accepting. Congrats. :slight_smile:

10. confuseduser99

11. thelostboyxxx

i wish i was as brave like you i woulda wuss out :\

12. Eye Shine

That's really great of you. I recently came out to several of my friends at one of my parties. I found it it easier than I would attempt with family because a few of my friends are pan and bi and friends and younger people in general are more accepting than adults and family.