1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a secret anymore!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Chuck, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Chuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it’s still a secret, but its now a secret I share with one other person. I’ve finally told someone! :icon_bigg

I came to the realisation a while back that I don’t have anyone who really knows who I am, and I wanted to set about changing that. I decided I’d tell one of my female friends first. She works just around the corner from where I live and I had the day off work so I organised to catch up with her for lunch. I was asking her about work and was only sort of half listening cos I was thinking about what I was planning on telling her. I asked her how things were outside work, just life in general, waiting for her to ask in return “What about you? How are things?” Then she asked exactly that and my heart started thumping!

I knew what I wanted to say but it was hard to get it out. I was lying on the ground, looking up at the sky, not at her, and just said “I’m a fraud. I’ve spent about 6 years pretending to be something I’m not, or pretending not to be something I am, however you want to look at it.” ...Silence... “Have you ever wondered why I’m 26 and haven’t had a girlfriend? Have you ever wondered why I broke into a cold sweat and ran the other way when *female friend* told me she was interested in me? Have you ever wondered why I own seasons 1, 2 and 3 of Golden Girls on DVD?!” That made her laugh, and that made me feel better. :lol:

Then I asked her if she’s ever wondered and I was surprised to find out she hadn’t. Well, she had, a while back, but only in passing. I’m not at all camp, but I thought there must be some things that I say or do that make people wonder. Actually I was kind of hoping people did wonder cos I figured it would make it easier to tell them. Apparently I’d done a good job of pretending, which is ironic because obviously I was pretending because I didn’t want anyone to know, but there was a part of me that hoped I wasn’t all that good at pretending.

I wasn’t sure exactly how I thought I would feel after telling her. It didn’t really feel like a huge weight had been lifted, but that could have been because we didn’t get to talk that much afterwards. Half an hour after I’d told her I was dropping her back off at work. I came home and I didn’t really know how I felt. I was happy that someone else finally knew, but I also felt like I had to get used to the idea myself. Even though I’d known for ages, it was like by telling someone it was only now feeling real.

Since we didn’t get to talk that much, I wrote her an e-mail once I got home, and said some things that I couldn’t quite get out while we were talking. As the afternoon wore on I did start to feel better for having told her. I now have someone who I feel like I can just be me when I’m around, and that’s a good feeling. It might just stay between the two of us for a little while yet, but this is a big step, and somewhere I never thought I’d be a month ago...

2. LorenzG1950

Congratulations Chuck,

It really is a big step and you can be proud of yourself. My girl friend was also the first to find out and boy, was it hard to say "I'm gay." But she was so sweet and understanding (!) . From this first big step, it's gets easier. You obviously picked the right person for revealing your secret :thumbsup: .

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

3. nick79

Congratulations! :eusa_clap

You're on your way!

4. Good for you:thumbsup: I probably could have never done that the big chicken that i am. Id stand in water and try to conduct lightning before id want someone to find out:icon_bigg

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh, that's PRICELESS!

And yeah, you'd thnk the Golden Girls DVD collection would be a big tip off!

Actually that totally reminds me of this video clip they were playing at this cool gay video bar in San Francisco last year at Pride when we were there... let me see if I can find it on YouTube: oh cool, I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_A85jRPwdg

It's brilliant, and gay, and funny.

I think that's probably a REALLY common feeling. We aren't exactly brave enough to blurt it out or maybe we don't even know it consciously but at the same time we want people to just... discern it--and then be super cool about it. :icon_bigg

6. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,
    I just posted my coming out story too. Only to one person (my mom), and I didn't feel like a huge weight has been lifted either. I dunno why. I really thought it would have. I definetly feel somewhat better. Mostly more calm that I have someone to talk to about it that will support me and care about me. Anyone else have this happen and maybe explain why it didn't feel like a great weight was lifted? lol. But yea goodjob coming out.:thumbsup: It is so hard to do the first time.

Rob

7. Chuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ha ha! - I like it. Very funny. :lol:

That's so true!

Congratulations on telling your mother. I feel like it will be a while yet before I’m having that conversation with my family, but hopefully it won’t be too long before I feel I’m ready for it. I guess the weight lifting will be a gradual thing, as we tell more people and as those people become completely at ease with it. That’s what I’m thinking at least – can’t really say for sure since I’ve only told one person. It’s been a couple of days now since I’ve told this friend and the range of feelings I’ve had is quite broad – from vulnerable (I’ve never been any good at sharing my thoughts or feelings with anyone) to relieved that I have someone who knows who I am. I think the biggest thing though is that I feel more comfortable in myself. Until I actually expressed my feelings to someone else, there was a part of me that was still trying to refuse to believe I was gay. It’s real now, and I can move on. I’m just gonna be me, regardless of what it might make people think.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I completely agree with that. It exactly sums up how I felt at that stage too.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you're kinda in shock? I'm trying to remember if I felt super-unburdened right away but to tell you the truth, it might very well have come in the months and weeks following. I know I definitely DID feel like a weight had been lifted once I'd come out but yeah, it might not have been the very first time I told someone. The very first time I told someone I was so scared shitless I doubt I was feeling much else.

10. nick79

Congratulations:eusa_clap

But calmness is a weight lifted off your shoulders!

11. Zec24

Congratulations Chuck,
    I understand not feeling like a weight was really lifted off you. I had the same feeling after telling a close friend, also my first person to know. I also thought most people would already sort of know. I think it was kind of disappointing for me when I told my parents and they said they had no idea. Not sure why it was so disappointing though, I guess I just thought they of all people would have picked up on the fact that there was something different about me. I also hadn't dated anyone in 21 years and shied (sp?) away from the topic of dating whenever it came up. Anyways congrats again and know that it gets easier to tell more people with time as your comfort level rises.

12. Chuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, its only taken a little over a week for 1 person to become half a dozen – and I didn’t even have to open my mouth! After I told my friend she organised for a group of us to go out on the weekend, and she did a very good job of managing to get me quite drunk. I lost my inhibitions and opened up and told her a lot of my thoughts and feelings that I couldn’t quite articulate when I had confided in her the first time. She told me that she had told her boyfriend, but I had expected that. Then there was her workmate who came with us; she told her too while we were out, but that didn’t concern me – I’d only just met her. Plus, from my rather intoxicated ramblings on the way home, I’m pretty sure the taxi driver now knows as well!! :icon_redf

But the first unexpected ‘outing’ was to a male friend. He lives near her and they are quite close so I sort of figured if I didn’t tell him soon, the news would eventually get to him. Him and I are quite different in a lot of ways, and he’s not the kind of friend who I would just ring up for a chat. We sometimes go a while without seeing each other and I sometimes wonder whether, if it weren’t for our mutual friend, we might have slowly lost contact since high school. Well, I’m damn glad we haven’t because I was blown away by the text message I got from him last night. To paraphrase “Just heard your news, not a great shock, none of us care, we’re there for you no matter what, your still just you to us.” :icon_bigg

I really thought when I told my friend that it would be a long time between that first step and the next, but I’m discovering that the more people who know, the more comfortable I’m feeling. I’m still dreading some of the conversations that I’m going to have to have though, I just wish everyone already knew. And I’m realising now I should have done this long ago, but hey, at least I’m doing it now. I’ve also realised I’m obviously a good judge of character, because I think I have the best god damn friends in the world!

13. Jim1454

Congratulations Chuck. I know I certainly to feel more comfortable about being gay as I started to admit it to people. I'm certainly not out - but even discussing it with my therapist helps a great deal.