1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by medic, Jun 16, 2014.

1. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I woke up this morning and pretty much decided today was the day. I'd told 4 close friends already but this was the big one. Few more friends still to tell but think they'll be easy after this!

Bit of background: I was in the car for 6 hours as we were going on holiday. Thought today would be good as it meant I could be relaxed on holiday. It was LOADS harder than I expected though. Sat in the car for 2 and a half hours. We then stopped at a service station and both parents picked up on the fact I was HORRENDOUSLY stressed. I couldn't think about anything else which is ridiculous as I knew they wouldn't feel any differently about me. I barely ate any of my lunch which is nothing like me. To be honest I did put on a bit of a show so they'd ask something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I was still more stressed than I've ever been in my life. The holiday should be relaxing and it'd be a total waste if I moped around all week.

When my dad picked up I wasn't with it he asked what I was thinking about and I just said "a lot of things" and he asked if I wanted to talk about it and, after hesitating, said no. Couldn't get the words out.

Anyway, after all the anxiety I was fed up when I got back in the car. It was such a good moment. So for that reason, I just texted my mum who was sitting right in front of me! Sounds ridiculous but I couldn't stand the anxiety any more. Just said they were right that I had something on my mind and that it was that I wasn't interested in girls!

Anyway that maybe wasn't the best idea as she didn't read the text. When we reached another service station I went to the loo. When I got back my parents were both smiling and when we got in the car dad says "I bet you feel better getting that off your chest!" and asked if my best friend was also gay which I said no to (although he did admit he's slightly bi but we're not into each other at all.)

The next hour or so was initially stressful then I felt much more normal and really happy. it got a bit awkward again when it was brought up over a coffee but we went for a walk and, after I realised 30 minutes later they were acting no differently, I felt AMAZING. I've been more upbeat than I ever have been for months all evening and we just talked about other stuff. They haven't mentioned it again and that's fine. I suspect they have questions and they'll probably get the answers with time. Right now just riding the high. :slight_smile:

2. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First of all congratulations. At first I felt the same way... god who am I kidding! I just now accepted that I might be Bi. Stopped eating like I used to eat before, my mother noticed and I did say "I'm feeling bad" and "Just nervous, it's probably the exams that are coming up". I told my cousin, then the day after that I told my mom. They both accepted it like it was nothing.
    I told my cousin through a letter. My mom I told her face to face.
    Today I told a childhood friend I have.
    I began to feel better, the eating is back to normal, but the exam is still there!

Anyway, congratulations! May everyone in you life accept it like you parents did!

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats on doing this! I'm happy to hear it went so well for you!

I've all but given up on ever coming out at this point, but if one of my parents were to ask me I always imagined it being in a car, particularly with my dad since a few times a year we're together in there for five hours or so. I can even relate to trying to get them to notice that something isn't right and prod me a little bit, but unfortunately it seems my neutral expression doesn't look all that happy so they don't even notice. :frowning2:

4. Silver Sparrow

Congrats! So glad everything went well.

5. mangotree

Congratulations!
    What a BIG day (or couple of days now).

6. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow you went fast! It feels good though right? I never did have the courage to say anything face to face in the end haha.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 12:22 AM ----------

I found there was something about the car which makes things easier. I think you can't run away! The texting thing kind of worked for me. I typed it and then spent a while thinking about it. When I decided I wanted to it was just pressing one button and it was gone. Didn't give me time to change my mind.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 12:24 AM ----------

Aha I should add I told my best friend from home on the same day and it was really easy I think because I was feeling so good. He replied saying "Is it bad or good if I say I don't really care?"

Then spent the next few minutes clarifying that he cared, but not that I was gay, just that I had said it. If that makes sense.