1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rob13, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys,
    I once wrote a support and help thing for advice.. Well Now I finally got the courage up to tell my mom I am gay.
    It was very emotional for me... I was having a hard time keeping such a secrete from my mom. I am so close to her. She knew almost everything about me... except that I am gay. So I knew I would lose to words to tell her to her face. So I wrote a letter. It said,
    "Dear Mom,
    There is no easy way to say this. I am gay. Please don't ask me if I am sure I am gay or not. I know I am. All I want you to do is tell me you still love me. Please don't treat me any other way you have before this. Please don't tell anybody else. I am not ready for that yet." I cried the whole time writing this...

Yes... very straight forward. But... well I went into her room and talked about what ever. She knew something was up by the way I was acting. She knew I had been crying but she didn't ask why. She finally asked what was wrong and I couldn't say anything. I got tears in my eyes. I got out the note and gave it to her. I went to the other side of the room and waited tearfully. She came to me and hugged me when she was done the letter. She had not expected it... But nontheless she still loves me :slight_smile:. I am not coming out to anybody else for a while.. I am just glad I told the person that means most to me... and she still accepts me. Well I just thought I would share that...

Robbie

2. xequar

Congratulations!

Coming out the first time is hard, and coming out to parents is hard. I honestly can't imagine doing both at the same time... When I came out to my roommate (the first one I came out to), I was literally trembling. My parents were actually almost the last people I came out to (they live a long way away), and it took me all night to finally work up the courage to tell them.

If and when you do decide to come it, it gets easier every time, and now you'll have a supporter, as well. Again, congrats!

3. Double Dubya

Good for you Robbie, I am glad that everything worked out for you, and that you have such a great relationship with your mother. Day by day things will feel better and work themselves out, you are not alone. None of us are.
    Best Wishes,
    WW

4. That's so awesome that it worked out for you Robbie! =)

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's great Robbie - I'm so pleased it worked out so well for you.

Please keep us updated with how things go over the next few weeks. Things may get a bit weird as the news sinks in (have a look at the Parental Stages of Grief thread here) but it sounds like it's all going to be fine.

6. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, Robbie! I know it must not have been easy to come out. I am so happy for you that things with you and your mom are fine and that she supports you and loves you.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Robbie,

Your story totally made me cry. That's so great that your mom was so great.

8. tired_of_lying411

CONGRATS!!!! I know how good it feels to finally have a supporter.:eusa_danc

9. Sam

Sam

Congratulations!!!!! doesn't it feel good to finally be out to your Mom? I know it feels great keep up the good work
    Sam

10. crimsonarcher

i wonder if i'll be that lucky.....

11. CM1989

wow that gives me a lot of hope, I'm considering coming out to my mom soon. Congrats!

12. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys. Glad to hear from you. Things were sorta wierd in the first few days but they kinda blew over. I am glad my mom is ok with it. Telling my dad won't happen for a while. The only thing my mom said was to keep an open mind. Like she is thinking I might be going through a phase. I told her I am not but I will always keep an open mind. I am not saying I won't change back. But I really doubt I will... Too many years of constant thoughts for me to change... Anyways. Other than that, things are going fine between us. Cya guys.

Rob

13. ampthejazz

Congratulations man. Telling the parents is one of the hardest things to do.

I'm glad it went well. :slight_smile:

14. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i read your post and understand it good. im 16 and soon will have to tell my mum, but am worried about telling my dad. does your dad no yet? i have only ever told to of my close mates at school but i think my 13yo brother might be sus a bit. it was a good idea to do a letter.

15. coley2k7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well donem8 :wink:

16. TeeBe

Congrats! One less thing to weigh on your mind. Glad the letter worked so well!

17. SadConfusedBandGeek

Awww Congratz! I really hope it goes that well if i tell my mom:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: , I am also wondering about your dad too, cause my dad is way macho, he does all the renovations, he played football, and he is always kinda sad that i'm "not like that" But he dont know i'm gay lol just wondering
    ANyway GRATZ!!! :slight_smile:

18. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry guys, I haven't come out to my dad yet, so I will not know what he will say... yea, sadconfushedbandgeek person, my dad is kinda like that too.. he works in construction and loves hunting, fishing, and hockey sort of thing. I do work for him but I really don't enjoy it that much... But only this summer. Also I would not come out to him yet because I don't know what his reaction would be and I would be working with him... I don't want to ruin my good paying job yet... lol. After the summer maybe I will tell him... Mom just keeps asking how I am with it, kinda making sure everything is ok. I'm just going to be glad in 2 months when I am in university and make friends with other gay guys... There is like no-one where I live that is gay and my age... Kind of a homophobic town... remember... Well I guess that is all...

Talk to you guys later.

19. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats to you. I hope that you will allow yourself to be happy now! the rest will happen in time. I think the reason your mom accepted you was because she already knew and was just waiting for you to tell her...mothers know, even if we don't think so, they do! Some don't want to believe it, but they still know.

20. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish my mom was like that... I really need to come out but I can't until I am economically self-supporting...