1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my priest...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Wuggums47, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Ugh. Today I talked to my favorite priest about my being gay, and he said things like gay sex is evil, and gay marriages are mimicking marriage, and a bunch of other stuff that makes me feel like shit. I don't feel welcome in my church any more, I'm thinking of becoming an Episcopalian. When we got home my grandma who has never shown any resentment towards gay people said some really homophobic stuff, and my mom is trying to make it so I don't enter a program for LGBT youths, saying it's because she doesn't know who's in charge there, but I think it's because she's worried that I'll try to hook up with someone there.

Feel so sad right now, it's like my entire world just turned homophobic for a day.

2. ElPescado

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, know how you feel my grandparents (on my dad's side) are homophobic too. I really hope that your family will come around!

Hang in there friend.

3. Gallatin

(*hug*)

I'm sorry that things didn't go well. If you choose to try and look for a more welcoming church, then I hope that search is successful and that you find comfort and acceptance there. :slight_smile:

4. mangotree

Why are so many adults so careless with their words? Did they think you'd be happy to hear those opinions? People of power and role models should never hurt a young person like that - they have a responsibility.
    There are pretty much 5 things in the world that truely anger me and this is one of them.

I hope you find the support you need/deserve either at another church or a LGBT group.

Peace be with you and good luck (*hug*)

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just remember to not let the ignorance of man get between you and God. Your relationship with God cannot be changed by the ignorance of man.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry you had to suffer this sort of reaction. He should have known better; it was hardly a demonstration of Christian love or ethics on his part. I'm pretty sure Jesus had a word or two to say about judging one another.

If you need to leave this Church behind and find a more accepting denomination or community, please do so. All too often LGBT Christians find themselves so wounded by intolerance that they walk away altogether. I wouldn't want that to happen to you when there is a 'home' for you at a more accepting Church. Just do your research - although the Episcopal Church is widely known for being accepting and tolerant, there are still be a few congregations at the more traditional/conservative end that will not embrace you with open arms. I say this as an Anglican/Episcopalian myself.

7. AlexL

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's so sad to see that some religious people still don't accept the fact that this is normal, not evil. Jesus said a lot about not judging, about helping others and accepting them.

A similar thing happened to my when I was talking to my father, he seemed very accepting about gay people but now he is saying a lot of homophobic things, it is really sad to see narrow minded people.