1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, here it goes

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RedState, Aug 25, 2008.

1. RedState

First, I'll apologize in advance for the length of this. It's not my intention to write a book or anything, but there's just a lot I have to get off my chest. But the following is my testimony...my discovery. I have left out nothing.
    It's odd, you know, how one tiny moment can change your life forever. I guess early this summer I reached one of those rare moments when your life splits--when time can only be defined as before and after.
    Back in early summer, some of my old fraternity brothers decided to take a trip up to Canada. We always heard that it was cool up there and we wanted to check it out. Besides it was a good excuse to get out of Alabama. I had no idea that those few days would change my life. The journey that began innocently enough in Canada would continue long after I got home.
    The first couple of nights we did all what "straight" guys do. Go to bars, talk about women, the last girl we slept with..all that guy stuff. Pretty routine. But the last full day and night were different...for me anyway.
    That last afternoon I went on a jog around the city and--completely by accident--I took a course and ran through the city's gay village, which is remarkable. So I took note of this and asked in my broken French about the night spots, etc (I've had a few of these random hookups before, but I just passed them off as "God I can't believe I did that" and "this is just a phase...you like women remember?)
    Later that night, when everyone was at the hotel bar, I said I was going to sleep. I went back to my room, changed, snuck down the stairwell and headed to the village. My heart was litterly pounding out of my chest as I ventured into a couple of the clubs. Then, it happened.
    They always say that you will never forget your first love. I still remember my first "real" highschool girlfriend...and I know I will never forget the person I met that night.
    I was wearing a ratty hat and an old torn "Alabama Crimson Tide" T-shit when from across the bar I hear a shout "Alabama!" I looked up, and there he was. "What brings you so far from home?" So, we began talking.
    I remember everythiing about him. His face, smile, those beautiful eyes and even the way he smelled. I know, I know...that sounds really gay.
    Anyway, we hung out all night and I went back to his place.
    That was the most amazing moment and time in my life. I had had a few randoms in the past, sometimes caught myself checking out guys at the fraternity house...but nothing like this. For the first time in a long time, I was at peace and yes, happy to be where I was in my life. And I felt a little bit of envy, that he could live a life that I couldn't. Next morning we exchanged numbers and I went on my way. What is this odd feeling and why can't I shake it?
    It was June 18, 2008. 8:35am in a cab back to the airport when I finally admitted to myself that these fellings were not just a passing phase or part of just another drunk "dude I can't believe I did that" night.
    It was then when I knew that I was gay.
    But how is this possible? Seriously, how could me--of all people--be gay. I've got the perfect resume of the typical straight guy. Not into clothes, high school athlete, love NASCAR, hunting and football. Big fraternity guy when I was in school and dated plenty of women. But there was always something missing. In the back of my mind I knew what it was, I simply never admitted it.
    Needless to say, this guy really threw me for a loop, because I have never felt like this before. God, I didn't wash that Alabama shirt for three weeks.
    Never before have I ever had the privilege of sharing such a moment with another human being. I will never forget it or him.
    I once had a good friend that met some chick on spring break back in college. Best night of his life he said. After graduation, he got an awesome job making close to 6 figures. A few months into it he up an left. "Gotta find her" he said. My response was: "You are going to give up everything you have to go on a wild goosechase to find some girl that you spent one night with a year and a half ago. Tell me how much sense that makes"
    Well, now, it makes perfect sense to me.
    So that brings me to today. Confined to a straight life in Alabama. It is not a happy existance, but one that I deal with day to day. I've only told a couple of people (two friends that I would trust with my life) My one gay friend that I have told me, "I always knew this about you...you just had to find out on your own. No one else can do it for you"
    The sad part is that I know one day i will have to leave home to be not what I am, but who I am...and I think I'm ready to do that. If I don't, I know it will consume me and I will live alone and bitter. Even though it is a little painful to think about my one night in Canada, I still can't help but smile.
    Anyway, that's it. I know it was long, but there is a lot to tell. I'm still growing into this, and maybe one day I'll be comfortable enough to openly live the life that is waiting for me.

2. berileos

berileos Guest

Wow!That's a hell of a story!Wish it happened to me...:icon_sad:
    Anyway...Now that you know it and you are sure about it,there's not much you can do...except accept it as it is.If it is hard for you,you came to a right place(*hug*)

3. Nodnarb

Firstly, welcome to EC!

Secondly, I agree with Berileos...wow! A great story, and you are a very good writer!

Thirdly, I can relate to the "how could I be gay?" thing...My idea of fashion is a t-shirt and jeans, I'm a HUGE football fan(first ISU game this Thursday!!!), and I like NASCAR. Not exactly stereotypically gay. But that is something that EC taught me. Not everybody fits the stereotype. We're all different, and we just have to be who we are.

Fourthly, I hope you reach the day you feel comfortable living openly soon!

4. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

**sobs** Im fine just give me a minute!! ok that was amazing

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow, that is a story! I hope you find him again one day and welcome to Empty Closets!

6. RuralMedAU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glad to know there are more guys like me out there, very straight acting, frat boy from Alabama. You almost described me, except the UA fan, War Eagle btw. I just recently went through what you are now going through so I know how you feel and trust me you will be so much more happy.

7. panda

Great story !! Welcome to EC.:welcome::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

8. RedState

Thanks guys for the kind words...they mean a lot during times like this.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great story! One day you will be able to live your life. No worries!

10. Knowing Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on coming out to yourself! :slight_smile:
    It will get easier. How did the other friend that you told take it?

11. RedState

Well, she's one of these non-conformist "rage against the machine" types who lives in NYC because she had to get out of the South. She and I are polar opposites on everything, but she's a good friend and one of the few I trust in this world. That being said, she was totally cool with it. She said I was nuts if I told any of my "barbarian" friends right now though

12. riddlerno1

That was amazing. I suppose what rang out for me was when you talked about how can I be gay, when you are not the 'typical' gay. But there is no 'typical' to being human, we are who we are. Just be yourself and live the way you want to live. Hopefully everything will become clear and you can comfortably live your life in happiness.

13. Noah

I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy too :slight_smile:
    I like sports, don't care about fashion, and I'm messy....lol
    stereotypes are stupid

14. Alex89

Hey, perhaps you SHOULD write a book. =) You're a great writer, seriously.

It's great you had that experience and explored your identity. Believe me I'm naturally pretty 'straight' acting even though I'm out. I don't talk about girls or anything, but i've enevr had an interest in clothes or fashion and don't act feminine at all.