1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Friend - outcome

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ccdd, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

You may have seen in the Support and Advice section that I was planning on coming out to my best friend:

http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14100

Well, I did, and it went ok, although I messed up somewhat, through cowardice. Although I did sort of make up for it. It's all explained here:

Basically, I couldn't get the courage to say that I had been feeling this way for a very very long time, and essentially said that recently I'd been thinking that I might be bisexual.

She took this very well (in a very matter-of-fact, no-big-deal way), and asked me why I thought this. And I said I'd had a crush on this girl etc, but also that I wasn't sure. She's a believer in the spectrum thing, so we talked about that for a bit. But then she said she thought I was just thinking that because of everything that has happened recently and other reasons, and that people go through phases. I said this time that it wasn't a phase.

The topic came up several times - for instance, when we're talking about men, I'd say "if I ever meet a man or a woman" - and gradually I got more insistent that I was sure. The reason she thought I just think I am isn't because she doesn't want me to be - she isn't homophobic at all, and from our conversations, it was entirely clear that she really doesn't care - but because she herself had gone through a phase of thinking she might like women, but then had realised/decided that she was straight. She did say that obviously only I knew what I felt, but that this is what came to her mind because this is what happened to her.

The topic came up many, many times, and I tried to reiterate the point that I was sure, without ever saying that I'd felt this way for a long time. The other thing I did was say that I wasn't sure if what I felt for women was actually sexual :eusa_doh:. This is stupid, because it is. But I said this several times. In spite of my best intentions.

However, at one point she said again she thought I might just be thinking that I am, and I said with a lot of insistence, "no, I'm sure I am". And then she said "ok, I accept that, obviously you know best". Every time we speak I get more insistent.

So the situation is that she thinks that I've recently begun to feel this way, that I'm not sure it's sexual, but that I am sure that I am, and she had similar doubts about herself in the past but dismissed them, and she did or does think I'm going through such a phase.

I was not and am not able to talk about how I've felt like this for ages, so don't tell me to do that. I think that reiterating the point kind of worked, and I think that if I just keep up my story it will work in the end. I think that she thinks as she does because she went through a "phase", and therefore thinks I am too. But we are operating completely normally and discussing it all the time, with me being insistent on it and her relenting somewhat. I even managed some mentions of famous attractive women, which I was proud of.

So - she is essentially totally accepting, and doesn't care either way, and we spoke about it many many times and still do (it's not a taboo subject), but I feel unable to tell her that it's the way I've felt for ages - mainly because I don't want to make her feel like I've lied. But I think that I'll not push the point at the moment and I think that the longer I insist that I am the more she will realise that I'm not in the position that she was in but that I actually am.

I really, really do not think she cares whether I am bisexual or not - I think that she is just thinking about her own period of confusion, and thinking that I'm going through the same thing.

But we talked about gay/lesbian issues all the time (and indeed frequently do) so it's not like this is it. The door is open now for more discussion at least.

I hope you can make some sense out of this about where we stand!

#1 ccdd, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  2. Miles D

awesome!!! :thumbsup:

3. silentsound

sounds great, don't beat yourself up about saying some things "out of cowardice" coming out is very very scary. You don't have to beat the point to death, but if she asks you about it, go ahead and do your best to clarify. Good job! I know how hard this was for you!

4. panda

Great!! Good !! Fantastic !!..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think she'll be OK when you tell,The Rest Of The Story.:icon_wink

5. Level N Human

Congrats to you. :grin: Glad your friend is chill about it.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so happy for you that she was totally accepting. Congratulations on coming out to her! :slight_smile:

7. biisme

That's great that you managed to tell her!!!!

It's a difficult thing to talk about.

8. Vampyrecat

*huggles* congratulations.

Don't dismiss yourself as a coward. You are not a coward. Coming out is terrifying. And you were really brave telling your friend in the first place.

9. riddlerno1

That is really great ccdd!! At least this paves the way for you to talk to her about other things too!

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratz!! :grin: You're less of a coward than I am, trust me. :slight_smile: When I came out to my friend it took 2 whole days and loads of extremely heavy hints before she got the message!!! lol

11. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

I guess you're all right... I mean, I did come out to her, and she was totally accepting, and we did and do discuss it a lot. I mean, she has the message, and is ok with it. And we're still talking about it - not in an angsty way, but in a casual "oh yes you like women too don't you" kind of way.

I am so relieved I cannot explain how much so. It's very odd, having hidden myself from her for more than a decade, to suddenly be talking openly about these things with her.

12. Mickey

Good for you! As other's have already said,it's a hard thing to do and
    you DID it! Don't worry about the way you did it,just be proud that you DID!

13. Mickey

:icon_bigg