1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wel, mine is not that bad but now i think she doesnt like who i am

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by OPENBOOK66, Apr 20, 2007.

1. OPENBOOK66

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello to who ever reads this. I told my mother once when i was fourteen and she was shocked but didnt take it to bad granted she had been drinking. But now that i am seveteen and confirmed my sexuality to my mother a few monthe ago it seems to have turned sour. Every singlr time i even mention anything about G.A.Y she gets all red and changes the subject and i know it is hard for the parents as well as the gay individual but she is pushing me away and i dont want that to happen.

2. Micah

How often do you mention gay subjects? Do you ever bring boys home? What I suppose I'm trying to figure out is how big of an issue "being gay" is for you and her.

It's likely that the more 'gay aspects' to your life there are, the more she'll be forced to talk about it. Right now it seems she's doing the whole "If i dont talk about it, then it doesn't exist" phase that some parents tend to do. Try talk to her about it more. Present situations where she needs to talk about it with you (such as talking to her about gay friends, boyfriends, gay meetings etc).

If she doesn't come around and still refuses to acknowledge it then perhaps a change of strategy is needed.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's usually a period of adjustment between when you've told a parent to when they can actually talk about it without flinching. Have you tried contacting your local FFLAG group in the UK? (They are called PFLAG in Canada and the US.) It's a support group for parents and family of lesbian and gay people... and yeah, you're not a parent but they might have some suggestions for you. If you can get your mum to a meeting... that would be cool.

Barring that, you could try telling her you don't want the two of you to not be able to talk about stuff and that it's really important for you to be able to tell her certain things. I think it's pretty hard for parents to claim they don't want to be closer to their children... so if you phrase it the right way, it might hit a chord with her. Most parents I know of complain about how their teenagers WON'T talk to them.

But yeah check out FFLAG... I think the website's www.fflag.org.uk

Oh wait... are you in Birmingham in the UK or Birmingham Alabama? Hmmn... well if you're in the States, check out PFLAG at www.pflag.org

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Birmingham, UK (he mentioned UK in a PM to me).