1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Swamp56, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya...this was awkward lol.

My mom woke me up one day and was telling me to get up and get something to eat, while I was laying there 1/2 asleep under the covers of my bed...I LOVE that warm feeling from them :grin: . Anyway, she walked away and was doing laundry (wm and dryer are on the 2nd floor of our house), and I asked her to come into the room. She came in and asked me what, and I looked at her and said "I'm bisexual.....".

She was like :confused:, sat down and said, gulping, "ok......".

Apparently, she had questioned before if I were gay or not, so she wasn't completely surprised. She told my stepfather, who didn't take it that well though. It was worse when I told them I had a gay bf...my stepfather said "Well, we'll have to take him down to Providence to make him appreciate women" (a few strip clubs there....not many in my state of MA). This pissed me off a lot, and my mom yelled at him for saying that.

She is completely for me and as long as I'm happy, she is...she accepts me for who I am, rather than what I am :slight_smile: .

For some reason, he has completely denied the fact that I like men, and is seperating himself from my bf and saying that he doesn't want gay people at our house, even though his boss is gay and he looks up to him (lol, hippocritical).

Well, I still have yet to tell my father....who is homophobic >_> . That will be a story saved for when I'm in college for him :] .

Anyway, I don't hide it anymore....because I don't care what people think of me....I've developed a sort of pride, but yet again, I'm careful who I tell.

I had told my friends before I told my mom that I was bisexual, and I know one of them (my best friend) had trouble taking it in....he's hung out with me less, but he says it's because of his gf and how he has to take care of his brothers (makes perfect sense to me)....he says he doesn't care what I am.

Anyway, I'm SOO much happier that I'm out now :slight_smile:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! :slight_smile:

I am glad that your mom is understanding and so supportive. Glad that you feel happier and that you have developed a sense of pride. Way to go!

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's fantastic! Congrats! My mum was the same when I came out to her, and it's awesome to have such a supportive parent.

4. biisme

congratulations!!!!!! i'm sorry about your step-father tho.

i didn't kno there were strip clubs in providence...

5. ScentedRegrets

First of all, I am glad that you are happier now after coming out. Congrats! Also, you said that you have developed a sense of pride. I was very glad to hear that. When I was your age (17), I knew for sure I was gay. I was on the baseball team all four years of high school, and the feelings I had in freshman year only proved my thoughts all along... so by senior year of high school, it was in concrete... :icon_bigg But what I am trying to say is that while I knew who I was, I chose to hide it until, well, about two months ago. All of college, gone. You have some very exciting years of your life, and I am very happy that you are not on your way to making the same mistake that I did... hiding who you are out of concern for how you are perceived by others. You need to live your life, and I think you are headed in the right direction.

I work in human resources. This is actually not all that uncommon. I see it every day. We have several managers in my company who are clearly and openly gay. And several people, even some of the straightest people you can come across, still look up to them. Even those who you hear at the water cooler making anti-homosexual comments... they still look up to them. There is something that I cannot explain... the only thing I can attribute it to is the fact that they want to make the other person's salary. I don't know. But I know how you feel. Best wishes with your step dad.

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Thanks for the nice posts :slight_smile:

Ya...my stepfather said he would have his boss and his boss's partner over for supper, but wouldn't want my bf to be over because he's gay....makes no sense to me :confused: .