1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate high school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by silentsound, Aug 31, 2008.

?

Did you come out in high school?

1. I came out and was happier

35 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. I came out and wished I was in

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. I was in and I am glad I stayed that way

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I was in and wish I had come out

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. I didn't even know about my sexuality back then

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. silentsound

high school

Anyway, the reason I started this thread is to ask who came out in high school? Did anyone truly get a completely positive reaction? Do you regret it? Do you think you would have been happier if you were in/out?

I don't think I am going to be open in high school, I just don't feel like it's a good idea. So until I graduate, I am going to stick with telling a few really good friends outside of school, which is fine for me because all of my really really important friends are a lot older than me and outside of my high school. But, I am curious, what do you think about coming out in high school?

#1 silentsound, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Ronnie92

When I came out last year It was mostly positive. The only thing that annoyed me was that every time I left the room they said I was having sex with this other guy,it was funny at first but it got tired fast.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

School hasn't started for me yet...I will be a senior in High School....I don't go yelling "I'M GAY" to everyone, but I'm sure it will get out somehow :0 .

4. Shrug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i kame out last yr, and the reaction waz overall really good, and i live in oklahoma wich iz lyk the biggest conservative cristian state in america, i tnk its kalled the church bell or sumting, so anyways i waz rly surprised wen i got so many positive reactions!!! bt of course theres always gonna b the few assholes in the hallway yell out fag or sumtng of tht sort, but who kares about them!!!

5. PenAndInk

I started coming out my junior year, I'm a senior now. I've live in the Bible belt since I started high school. I'm out to close friends and a few less close friends, and so far it's all going fairly well. Two of my best friends are very religious, and they continue to surprise me with their positive responses. My school is very big, so it will never become "big news" if continue my coming out process, just because you can never know everyone or even close to that at my school.

I think it has really helped me on a personal level to come out to those who I'm close to, and it has strengthened many friendships. Really, it depends on your school, and your judgment of the situation. If you don't think you'll be safe, then don't take the risk. I know that I'm really waiting for college to be completely out, but telling close friends has only helped me and allowed me to pull out of my depression.

6. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    I wasn't exactly 100% on my sexuality when I was in highschool, although I had a sneaking suspicion the last couple years.... I'm glad I didn't hint that I might have been gay to the other fellas (I went to an all guy's highschool) because it would've been weird being the gay kid that hugged everybody... I mean I was the kid that hugged everybody, but they would've thought I was getting a boner :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Plus I wouldn't have awesome stories like the time I was undressed during my British Lit. course by the guy next to me... like, physically undressed. I don't think he would've gone for my belt buckle if he'd known I was gay and thought he was cute.... Lol

7. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

I'm not completely out in high school. But in my experience, I'm GLAD I started coming out. To all the people that I came out to, the reactions were more than ecstatic (they're all girls). As for all the accidental coming out (unintentionally coming out, but I spilled a li'l somethin'), the responses were also all great (they're all guys).

Of course, I still have a long way to go before I classify myself as "Out to Everyone" (mainly with conferring with my sister that I'm gay). After that ordeal, I can classify myself as out since I value her opinion more than anyone else (except for my parents. Never coming out to them).

I'm not going to put a vote on the poll since it seems as if the first option is only for those who come out completely without regrets... I'm not completely out, even though I wish I was.

8. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I sort of knew, but didn't *know* (or want to know) when I was in high school. I never came out, because I was too afraid. I'm glad I didn't come out then, because I wouldn't have had any friends and would have been even more bullied :frowning2:

9. I came out at the beginning of my second last year, i really wish i'd just stayed in the closet, it would have been so much easier....

10. ltb2511

^ i came out the same time as nodoubtjunkie and i feel the same as her, we got so much crap because of it

11. Miles D

I was out as bisexual, and I'm glad about that. That was great.

But I didn't come out as trans, and in some ways I'm glad because I think it might have been weird, but then again it's going to be hard to track down all my old friends and come out to them in person, which wouldn't have been an issue if I had come out to them in high school. (im in college now btw)

12. Étoile

I'm not out at school but people have questioned my sexuality many times before. Depending on who's asking, I'll either give a remark hinting at a yes or completely deny it. Although my school has like 1900 students, gossip spreads like the Black Plague. It's ridiculous how many people can find out about something in such a quick time period.

Last year, we had our own 'gay witch hunt'. People were trying to out any and everyone they could find. People kept quetsioning me and in such a loud, obnoxious manner. They felt that they had a right to know when in reality, they didn't and still don't. So, I don't know if I could even come out in high school because there's some people that I don't want to know about my sexuality just yet.

13. gutsrie

Everyone's experience is different it depending on how their school is.

I came out to a supposed friend and she told everyone at my school. Her telling everyone made my life a living hell. It happened during my junior year and I was ignored like the plague by all the guys and all my supposed male friends no longer spoke with me. Being extremely shy didn't help my self-esteem and I wasn't comfortable enough to seek help. It hurted so bad and still does... :C

I hated my last high school years!

14. I got all positive reactions. Of course, I told people that cared about me, so it wasn't that much of a problem. It felt so much better.

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My reaction had basically been 99% possitive. The one negative time was when I was walking up the steps with two of my friends and someone behind me said something that basically boiled down to stating that I partake in anal sex in the receiving possition. He said it much more crudely, but I'm not sure if I can say what he said on the forums. Anyways, without a second thought, I turned around and shouted, "And what if I do?" It shut him down immediately, and made everyone laugh.

16. Loveless

Loveless Guest

I came out like last week, The whole school doesn't know but few people seem really cool about it :slight_smile:. And yes i am way more happier and confident then before.

17. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, that situation's surprisingly familiar. A female 'friend' of mine who had an almost stalkerish crush on me found out through somebody else (long story) that I was gay, and then decided to shout across a bus - while I wasn't there - "[name] takes it up the a**." Never spoke to her that much since... Not worth bothering with.

18. Brendon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Out and much more happy :grin:

19. grapevine fires

I'm in the process of coming out at my school. I'm out to my friends.. or, they know that I like girls. I only know of one other out lesbian at my school, and we've become better friends since I came out on Facebook this past summer.

It makes things.. no different from if I were straight, I think. I'm treated the same for the most part because nobody really cares. Maybe I was lucky to come out to who I did.. some of the most tolerant kids at my school. :slight_smile:

20. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Ok, I don't want to be negative but I came out to a few people, and really wished I hadn't. Its a strange one - I mean I was, and still am going mad having to lie all the time about it but at least being "in" is safer and I feel as if I'm in control, but then again it is a horrid feeling constantly worrying about people finding out and hating you. I hate being in, but being out scares me shitless as 80% of the people I have told have been very negative and just left me feeling even worse, and more confused than before. So I wish I hadn't come out to 3/4 of the 5 people I did - 2 were completely awefull, and two just didn't help at all, making me more stressed that they would tell someone. But then again the one person who I told and reacted positively was almost worth all the shit.