1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A not so great coming out story :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by framboise, Jul 22, 2014.

1. framboise

framboise Guest

Sorry about being the sole depressing story among the plethora of good ones but I feel like I need to let this out :icon_redf

So I came out to my parents and little sister in December of last year. My sister, whose best friend is gay, was completely taken aback but very supportive and offered to sit with me as I told my parents.
    When I told them, there was a lot of "ok, well that's your choice" which I was expecting, but then they hit me with "is that the diagnosis from *insert psychotherapist's name here*?"

I live in Ireland and am daughter to two very Catholic parents. They are very bigoted and often make insulting comments regarding race, religion and orientation. But they don't see it as offensive and say that they're only jokes (don't they all). My sisters and I have grown up biting our tongues.

Basically the conversation ended with me being told that I'm not to talk about it and that it's nobody's business but my own. It's something that is not to be discussed.

This happened back in December and has never been mentioned again. If it weren't for the fact that I wrote it down in my calendar, I would wonder if it even happened.

I want so desperately to be out and open with people. But after spending so many years feeling ashamed, I feel like the shame is now reinforced.
    I'm living at home with my parents again as they are helping me through college. But I feel trapped :icon_sad:

2. Clay

It's your choice on who you tell, not theirs. Don't be afraid to tell people just because they don't want you to.

3. Tetra

As a student living with my mom as I'm finishing university, I can definitely understand how you'd want to keep the peace while you're living at home. That being said, your parents, whether they know it or not, seem to be stuffing you back in the closet. If you were straight, they'd likely have no issues with you discussing boyfriends or guys you like. Since you like girls though, they're practically pretending that it doesn't exist by just avoiding the topic altogether; this may suit their needs, but it's not fair to you whatsoever.

Basically, you should be happy that you're comfortable with who you are. Your parents should be happy that you're happy.

Is it possible to talk to your friends about relationships/girls you like instead of your parents? I know you'd like to discuss this kind of stuff with your family as well, but seeing as they need some time to get used to it, it looks like you're own your own for a bit until they (hopefully, if they have any sense) come around. You're their daughter, and that should be what matters the most.