1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at school through art project?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I'm starting my AS levels this year, and I'm taking Art. We have to do a project this term which is all about 'identity', and at the end we have to produce an "assemblage" which is like a load of assembled images or objects in an artistic manner which convey something(s) about your identity. It's like a self-expression thing. Some people do it with lots of random things about different facets of them, and some concentrate on one area, eg their love of ballet or whatever.

Part of me feels like I want to do my assemblage about my gay identity, or at least incorporating it. I'm tired of always leaving that part out when I describe myself to others. I want to explore that and express it artistically. Whenever I have to "present" myself to others, you know like "Hi I'm Helena and I like theatre" or whatever, I always leave out that I'm gay, even though in my head, I'm ending every sentence with, "and I'm lesbian! :grin:" And I feel like I'm hiding this big part of myself. >.<

So my dilemna is: Do you think this would be a good idea to come out at school like this? Because if I did my assemblage about it, or incorporating it, me fellow art students would definately notice and I'm sure the whole year/school would soon know. In a way, I would like to be out at school, and I think this would be a good, non-forced, organic, way to just let it be known.

On the other hand, I don't know if it could cause problems. People already think I'm a bit of a wierdo for being more gender-non-conforming than most (I just try to be myself, with masculine and feminine sides), but I don't want them all to stereotype me as a big dyke because of that, or see it in a one-dimensional way, or to ostracise me. Also, I don't want other girls to feel uncomfortable around me or not hug me and things like usual. I still want to be one of the girls.

So do you have any advice? Do you think it would change people's perceptions of me? Whaddy'all say?

2. Miles D

I think it sounds like a cool idea! Do like some rainbow stuff and the two woman symbols intertwined type thing, but also incorporate other things, like your love of theatre, music, books and other stuff. Let them think what they will, but to me it sounds cool.

(P.S. I went to your profile and stalked you a tad, so that's why it seems like I know lots about you, i.e. "your love of theatre, music, books".... I saw it on your profile!)

:icon_bigg

3. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with mediumdietcoke. I say go for it. Art is a great way to express yourself

4. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Do it! Art is a great way to express yourself. :slight_smile:

5. Noah

go for it!

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As long as there's no obvious threat of physical harm, I don't see why not. Try it, be as creative as possible. Make it yours, and have fun.

7. Ben

Ben

It's definitely original! Go for it :slight_smile:

8. pirateninja

I think it's a brilliant idea. It sort of says "I'm a lesbian" without people thinking that you're shoving it in their faces. And the assembaly of different items says "Yeah, I'm gay, but that's not all..." It'll be original, and if my art teachers are anything like yours, they appreciate originality.

But like Wander said, if its gonna get you into SERIOUS trouble with classmates, then use something a bit ambiguous, like a rainbow flag or something. But on the other hand, if everyone in the year knows, then you'll know who your real friends are.

(By the way, I took AS art last year, and carrying it on for A2 at the moment. If you need any advice, you know where I am :thumbsup:)

9. -Michael-

I completely agree.
    Is a good way to show that o everything about you is based on your sexuality.
    So instead of being "That lesbian" you'll be "That girl from art who likes...hotdogs and is a lesbian" aha You get my point.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a great idea, and I agree with everyone else, having it as one facet of the project would be a really good way to go.