1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my therapist, here's the story.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by CongoColorado, Aug 27, 2014.

1. CongoColorado

So, I'll start off by saying that I'm currently depressed, and that I'm going to a therapist each week. The therapist (who we'll call Pikachu) told me the week before I came out that every thing that I tell her is private and only kept between us. This made me feel great, to know that I can tell someone the real me for once. 6 days go by, then it's time, I do what I need to, get in the car, and we go off. For almost an hour, my Mother and I sat in a chair waiting for Pikachu to come. Pikachu came and I burst with excitement, we walked in to the room, shut the door so no one can hear what we're saying, and then started talking. For 30 minutes, we were talking about why I'm depressed, what caused it, how long I was depressed for, etc. She took a quick glimpse at her watch and told me we have 5 minutes until the session is over. I knew I had to tell her about my sexuality since it has been bothering me, and coming out would make her understand my situation. As the nervous person I usually am, I started shaking, sweating, and trying to tell her. She knew something was going on, I couldn't even speak. After a few seconds, I asked her in a low voice if I could have a piece of paper and a pen. Pikachu nodded her head and grabbed a piece of paper and a blue pen. I slowly wrote the words "I'm gay." on it, and gave it to her. At this point, I was terrified, sweating, etc. She smiled at me and said that it's okay, it turns out that she had gay teachers as a child, and even has a gay friend, the then started talking about a feminine guy she knows, which really has nothing to do with homosexuality, but made me happy, I still wonder if I'm feminine, or at least to her, either way, I was so happy at this point. She understood everything, and for the time we had to talk so I can get help, I wasn't scared anymore. She was so nice =). TL;DR: Came out to my therapist because my sexuality was troubling me, she responded nicely, and I'm happy. There's the TL;DR for you lazy people :lol:

2. tulipinacup

That's really brave of you:slight_smile: I also came out to my psychologist by writing it on a piece of paper. I asked her if she knew all along and just said that she assumed I was during our first meet but what's important is that she was very accepting of my sexuality.

It feels great huh? I hope Pikachu is able to help you get through your depression and wish you all the best!

3. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you :icon_bigg

4. CongoColorado

It felt like I could do any thing. It feels great knowing someone completely accepts you of knowing who you are, the funny thing is, she asked if I always had fantasies of men, which was kind of embarassing :eusa_doh:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out! I imagine that must have been very difficult for you from what you describe, and the feeling of sharing it and being accepted is simply indescribably wonderful for most people.

One mildly amusing therapist anecdote: Among therapists, it is widely recognized that many of the most profound revelations in therapy happen in the last 5 minutes of the therapy session. So when you described getting your courage up in the last 5 minutes of the session I just had to smile a little because that is such a common experience. :slight_smile:

6. CongoColorado

You learn something new everyday, eh? Thanks for the kind words, mate :icon_bigg
    It would be hard to come out to my Mother (My Father died when I was around 4, smoking addiction), I know that she's not very fond of gay people, considers them disgusting, and believes they're going to Hell, which is an imaginary place to me, so I also have to come out as an Atheist too. God. Either way, I don't understand why people always think of feminine guys when they hear the word 'gay' or 'homosexual.', but I can't lie, I do like feminine men. I have a lot ahead, I guess.

#6 CongoColorado, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014