1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in the Fire Service

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TJ, Sep 11, 2014.

1. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't normally post about coming out to friends because it's a pretty nonchalant thing for me. However it was especially difficult for me to come out to this friend, and I figured this may act as motivation and encouragement for other people who find themselves in a similar situation. It also is very relieving to share.

For those who don't know, I'm currently in training to become a firefighter and paramedic. I'm nationally certified as a firefighter as well as in HazMat Operations and am currently in Emergency Medical Technician training.

The fire service, typically (and most unfortunately), is filled with more conservative, close-minded folks. For this reason, I have made it a goal of mine to come out to no one in relation to the fire service. I have hopes that my generation of firefighters will be more accepting than the last one, however right now (before I start looking for a job) my sexuality is not something I'd like local fire departments to know about because I'll soon be applying for jobs with them and sexuality could potentially be a risky issue for them.

When I went to the Fire Academy I expected not to know anybody. But to my surprise, on the very first day a guy who graduated in my brother's high school class was sitting right behind me. He was in my fire company (the group you operate within). We both were from Lawrence, and so we carpooled (and still do) to class in Kansas City four times a week.
    I've always known that he'd probably be okay with my being gay, but because of his connection with my local fire department and the potential for rumors to be spread through our academy classmates, I figured it best to play straight throughout the entire academy.

However, because of the intimacy of a fire academy, this proved incredibly difficult to do.
    I rode in the car with him for twelve hours each week, avoiding the topic of relationships.
    With the rest of our academy class, I dove out of windows, jumped into holes, carried friends out of windows, put out fires, and trained to rescue people with them.
    This is an intimate job. You have to know and trust your coworkers.
    We went out for drinks and food once a week, and we're all still very good friends.

It's hard to describe the bond that you feel to these people to someone who isn't in the fire service, but we'll just say that it's very very tight. You live with your coworkers. Your life is their life.
    And to not be able to share something so crucial to you, yet so minor, with them for fear of being rejected from the entire service is so stressful. I never cried about being gay until I was in the academy. The desire to be straight and fit in is too overwhelming because you just want to be the best responder you can be, and you want to form that inseparable bond with your brothers and sisters in the service. But so many people are rejected from the service because they're gay.

The fire academy is over. I'm in EMT now, but a handful of my academy classmates are here with me (something I am incredibly grateful for because it's awesome coming into class knowing people).
    My friend and I still carpool to class twice a week and, finally, the matter of relationships came up. He asked if I had ever dated someone, and I said, "Ye I've been in a relationship for 2.5 years." And he asked, "You've been dating a girl for two and a half years and you haven't told me?" To which I replied, "It's a guy."

He changed the subject, obviously embarrassed, and we continued on toward home.
    Later that night he texted me and said, "Your secret from the Fire Service is safe with me."

To finally come out to someone related to the Fire Service has been so incredibly relieving, and my friend and I have grown so much closer in the week and a half since I told him.
    To finally know someone as intimately as all of the straight brothers know one another. I finally truly feel the bond that I know other firefighters feel with each other.

I know I can't come out to more academy friends until I have secured a job, but to finally know what the brotherly bond feels like was worth coming out for.
    To any other gay men (lesbians are well-accepted) in the Fire Service - I hope you're doing okay. I hope your company members respect you if you're out to them, and I hope that some day we won't be scared to come out to our brothers and sisters in the service.

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    TJ, you're an awesome person and I'm so glad you were able to find someone to trust about this. I know it's far from an ideal situation to keep that part of your life a secret from so many people, but I hope that even one person can make a big difference.

I have to say though you're always so positive and confident; it was heartbreaking to read that your environment drove you to tears considering you have so much support from your family and a long-term relationship. That must be really tough. :frowning2:

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for that incredibly personal support, mbanema. I really appreciate it.
    It's tough, but yes, coming out to even one person within the service community has been immensely relieving.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only just read this TJ, but just wanted to say how pleased I was to see those last few paragraphs. Having to hide a big part of who you are is really challenging as you have to measure every word in every conversation. It's not easy and it must be a huge relief to you, knowing you can speak more freely in his company. He sounds like a good guy.

6. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know there are support groups for gay police, and many big cities have their own gay officers' groups. Is there a national organization for gay firefighters? Maybe there are chat groups or something like that? Any such groups in the bigger cities near you?
    Anyway, congrats on having a decent guy for a friend and good luck.
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    As I read back over your original post, I was thinking that it must have been gut-wrenching in the hours after you told this guy and before you got his message.

#6 Carlgustav, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats TJ, you are definitely among the finest of men!

By demonstrating courage and true brotherhood, it is more than obvious that you have a brilliant future ahead of you!

8. TMF615

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thank you for sharing this, I am a Volunteer on a large department and it has always worried me how my brothers in this service would react or treat me. I'm still worried but I am very glad things are working out for yourself so far. Stay safe out there bud, and remember everyone goes home!

9. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one out there.

You stay safe too. Best of luck with everything.

10. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    TJv This is a little early but I want to say thank you so much for putting your life on the line to save others and for fighting fires we need more good men and women like you ! I also want to say congrats !! TMF615 I want to say thanks to you too . I wish both of you the best of luck !

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out to my parents but I'm familiar with the fire service, having grown up around a volunteer fire house. That's actually part of the reason I'm afraid of coming out to my dad, though I've seen he had no problem with the firefighters he's had that were out. (Actually, I know a few lesbians that were on his 40 man department)

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Way to go, TJ!