1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my work colleagues today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by One Man Army, Sep 15, 2014.

1. One Man Army

Yep, I didn't plan it at all, but I'm now out to 4 work colleagues and I expect it will spread like wild fire!

The truth is that I actually feel good, even though I hadn't expected to come out to my colleagues so soon. I'll tell you what happened.

I often have a lot of laughs and banter with one of the ladies at the hospital where I work (I'll call her Jenny), who is only down at our office some of the time. She's asked me a few times in the past if I have a girlfriend and I've tried to change the subject... Then she's told me - only half jokingly - she'll find a girlfriend for me, which until today, I've just laughed about.

Anyway, this afternoon she told me she'd definitely find a girl for me. Against my better judgement I said, 'or not!' and then she asked me if I was gay. I said yes (and took a while convincing her!!) so now the 4 ladies in the office know.

It's good news because they all reacted positively, and none of them have expressed any kind of anti-gay sentiment at any time. To be honest, they didn't care one way or another. It's just not an issue, which is good. So now I'm out to 5 people, and it's all been positive so far.

I can now expect that Jenny will now try to set me up with a single gay guy at the hospital, which I wouldn't be against... :wink:

So, the next stage is to come out to my parents. That's going to be a real challenge.

2. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Matchmaker matchmaker, make me a match...
    Don't you just love 'em!
    Anyway, I hope it goes well at work and good luck with the parents. You should consider that if your work colleagues have any interaction with your family, that the beans might spill sooner than you want. Just a thought.

3. One Man Army

Yeah, gotta love matchmakers haha.

I don't think my parents will find out before I tell them as they don't know any of my colleagues. Still it gives me an incentive to tell them, seeing as I'm slowly inching out of the closet.

4. Gallatin

Glad things went well for you! Good luck with coming out to your parents. :slight_smile: