1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After telling 30+ people I'm gay, got my first negative reaction.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MassiveExtract, Sep 25, 2014.

1. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright, so my coming out as of now has been great (still is). Nobody seemed to have a negative reaction toward it, and in fact many have been outstanding. Finally today I told a girl that sort of liked me in the past, and our conversation was "I think it's wrong, it's up to you and god, I have a friend that changed (poor guy), blah blah blah..." Incredibly, I was prepared. It took me 23 years to leave the closet and now I know why, because I needed to be prepared. After all she said, it made no difference. I'm gay, I'm finally happy in my life and she appears to be miserable unlike me. Guys, now I think I'll be sincere with a lot more people, I'm not afraid anymore. (!)

2. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

Good for you :slight_smile: congrats!

3. Blossom85

Congrats, I think your attitude on it is amazing.. In the end.. A negative reaction isn't going to change who you are.. And it's how we deal with the negative reactions that matter as well.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations!

5. Jwis

Congratulations. I think you handled that well! I have not had any negative reactions yet. I can assume I will when I tell my extended family. You know what though? I'm going to follow your example and say who cares... I am who I am. I am living my life for myself, not them

6. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good on you! I'm glad you were prepared! Stay positive and things should keep going smoothly for you!

7. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    You can't expect everyone to be okay with it but good job handling that very well.

8. One Man Army

Getting a negative reaction must have taken you aback a little, so I think you handled it really well. Not everyone would have been able to stay calm like that.

9. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah that girl should just shut up. You know the old adage: "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it" especially REPEATEDLY.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You handled that well!

11. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone for your kind words!

I guess, it just doesn't affect me. I'm educated enough to know that there is nothing wrong with being gay, absolutely nothing. So that someone tells me I'm wrong for being gay doesn't really bother me at all, because I've never been happier with my life. I have a large circle of friends that aren't gay but supportive, so it doesn't really bother me. I also tend to believe, in fact I truly believe that in order to change peoples minds I have to be calm, not angry. Anger doesn't take anyone anywhere in a social manner, if anything I can take that anger elsewhere, like making sure I show her in the future how far I've gotten in life, despite being "gay." I think the funniest thing was how the conversation ended "Awww... you can count on me for anything, give me a hug... *smile" -_- The hypocrisy was so comical I have to laugh in retrospect.

#11 MassiveExtract, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. King

Whilst her reaction was negative, it wasn't hateful so even if it is a bit disappointing threes nothing serious to worry about.

The other 96.7 people (I think) still reacted positively anyhow.

13. prussianblue100

Glad you handled it so well. I'm only out to 2 people, but I'll be sure to handle it like you when I get my first negative reaction (I'd say 1/15 of all people are homophobic and I live in the home of Westboro, so I'm sure to get one).

14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aweeesome! :grin:
    Sucks for her and the guy she knew, but you got it right! No reason you can't be truthful and happy! CONGRATS!!!

15. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

This ''It's upto you and god'' thing is getting ridiculous.. Until that ''almighty god'' appears infront of national news cameras I wont believe he is real.

Congrats anyway.

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2014 at 04:32 PM ----------

Sorry I should add that i'm not an atheist I believe some type of god is real but they wouldn't be as ignorant as the bible puts them out to be. I would love some fucking proof though. I am skeptic I guess.