1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to a friend, unexpected outcome

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Steele, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So...originally I wasn't planning on posting anything when I came out to this friend (and I wasn't planning on coming out to him until much later), but the outcome was so unexpected I'm kinda still processing what happened.

So here's what happened:

I was chatting with one of my friends over facebook. I've been friends with him since I was six. I was planning on telling him when I went back home over winter break, but I had my opportunity. So, here's how it went down:

me: Wanna know something?

him: sure

me: I don't know what you'll think of this

him: Doesn't matter!

me: And you'll probably have a lot of questions...

him: I'm sure I will

me: But I'm gay

him: That's fine

He was totally cool with it. He asked me what made me want to come out. He asked me if I told anyone else. He even asked me what kind of guys I like. And he ended the conversation by saying he's glad I came out and he's glad everyone's supportive.

I wasn't expecting any of that. I thought he'd get used to it eventually, but I thought he'd need time to adjust and that he'd go through a sort of "grieving" stage. But no. He didn't need any of that. I still can't believe that just happened. I mean hell, I'm having a harder time adjusting than he is, haha!

But in all seriousness, he was really cool about it, and I'm really glad I have a friend as awesome as he is. I even feel kinda guilty for thinking he might not react so well.

So, if you're worried about how someone may react...as long as you know you'll be safe, just give it a try. You might be surprised. I'm not saying it'll happen every time, but if nothing else, it'll be one less person you have to hide around. And you'll know whether or not the person is someone worth being friends with.

2. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome that he is accepting of you :slight_smile: Life has pleasant surprises at every corner.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That just goes to show that sometimes people have different reactions that you expect :slight_smile:

Congrats on coming out!

4. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations :slight_smile:. But friends are often like this. They have a little less invested in it than family members. I think sadly it will be a good few decades before parents ever react, in significant numbers, in this genuinely cool, blasé way. :icon_sad:..