1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops, I Left My Browser Open to EC

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nova713, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

Preface: I kind of came out to my parents about a year and a half ago. They’ve both been in denial ever since. And the whole gay issue hasn’t been brought up in that year and a half. So today, I felt like I had to come out again.

Well, today I accidentally left my browser opened and walked away form the computer. A short while later, my mom came in from church and after she got settled, she went to the computer. Thankfully my cousin who supports me 110% was there to help me through the whole thing.

She saw it open and asked, “What is this Empty Closets?”

I replied, “Oh, um, yeah, that, um, is, um, a coming out support group. Did I forget to shut the browser?”

My mom didn’t really say too much. I left it open on the main forum page and she kinda read through what was there. She then asked me if I was trying to find a date or something along those lines. I couldn’t help but laugh when she asked me that. :lol:

I told her, “No (still half laughing.) It’s a place to go where I can gain support from people who are or went through the same thing.”

My mom couldn’t really get it through her head completely that EC is not a dating website even after I explicitly told her that no it is not a dating website. She even asked me how much it costs. I laughed again and said that it costs nothing. :bang:

After this whole ordeal, she stepped away from the computer and looked at me. Her look was a look of anger. For some reason, I still had this funny grin on my face.

She then told me to use my medical benefits from work and to go see a therapist. I laughed again and said to her, “What do I need a therapist for?”

My mom said, “Well, you need support and someone to talk to, you should go see a therapist.” Or something along those lines.

I said still half laughing, “I don’t need any therapy. But if you feel the need to go see a therapist, then by all means.” The conversation died for a while after that.

Then my dad came in from work. After he got settled to watch the Browns vs Ravens game, my mom went into the living room to talk to him about what she had found out. I don’t know what was said, but I did see them talking in hushed voices. Nobody seemed to be upset which I guess is a good thing. After dinner, my dad asked my cousin to go out for a walk. My mother followed shortly thereafter. (I was in the other room so I didn’t see anybody step out of the house.) I let the three of them talk some.

It was getting late and I had to leave to come back to my apartment 2 hours away. Everything seemed calm for the most part as I was leaving. I could tell my mom and dad were rather disappointed. I could see it in their eyes. I suppose it could have gone much worse. So hopefully now I am fully out to my parents. :slight_smile:

2. biisme

Well, to be fair, you did tell them. :slight_smile:

Hopefully they get over that disappointment soon. (*hug*)

and, congrats!

3. silentsound

congrats! I do hope they get over the disappointment soon!

4. Derek the Wolf

:slight_smile: kinda funny. Sorry bout the neg, but it's not a dating website. I'd try to hammer that point home. And you don't need a therapist.

5. Noah

congrats again! lol can't wait to see where this goes...

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You want me to vouch for you? :grin:

"This is not a dating website Mom to Nova713! In fact coming here to "hook up" is against EC Code of Conduct. We charge nothing. We only give support and advice and accept people just the way they are!!!"

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Preface: I DIDN'T come out to my parents and my mom came in while I was surfing EC. I can only hope I closed the page fast enough.

Anyway, I hope they come to terms with it all soon. Parents who misunderstand their children can be some of the most difficult to live with.

8. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

I think that it eventually sank in with my mom that this is not a dating website. So far I have talked to both my mom and dad. Not about the whole gay thing though (it never came up.) At least we are talking. I think it will take some time for them to fully accept it. I could still here some disappointment in their voices, but I do think they will get over it. There's too much love there, I know they will come full circle and accept the fact that I am gay.

9. Sam

Sam

things will get better just give it some more time. At least you stood there and told her the truth maybe this time they won't go into denial about it. Good luck with everything.

Sam