1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowly but surely...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Zexion, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Zexion

Ok, so I was talking to one of my gay friends about how utterly pathetic my dating life is, and he told me that it would get better if I came out. >>

I have no idea what it was, but something inside me believed him. So, in a blind rush of stupidity, I put a bulletin up on myspace saying I had something big to say and if someone wanted to hear it all they'd have to do is ask.

Now, I have this REEEEEALLY straight friend, who is "homophobic". And I was hoping he wouldn't regard the bulletin at all. He usually doesn't. However, for some reason, maybe it was a gut feeling of his, he decided to respond. I get a text not even five minutes after I posted it from him and I almost chickened out. My friend almost pointed a gun to my head to get me to send him the text saying I was bi. (I didn't want to shock them too badly with the whole "gay" thing. <<; Slow steps.)

Seconds later he replies, "Oooh, honestly, I can't say I didn't see it coming. I'm homophobic, so don't be creepy about it. I know you're still you, and I love you to death, but it'll take time to get used to." I seriously LOVED him after that. He may be weird about it for a while, but hey, he's trying. And I never thought he would.

Another friend was like, "Awww man, I thought you were gonna say you were outside my house with a cookie, or Derek Jeter, lol." Best response ever. <3

I'm probably not gonna tell the parents anytime soon. At a party I went to some couple hugged me. A girl and a guy. I made the biiiig mistake of telling my parents, and my mom was like, "Which did you prefer? The girl or the guy hugging you?" And I was like, "erm...I'm not used to guy's hugging me." Since I didn't want to tooootally run away from the topic. My dad was all, "No, you like girls hugging you." And he high-fived me for some reason. I was like, "Uh, no, I'm just not used to guys hugging me." They kept refusing my answer. XD

Whateverrrr. I don't need my parents to go window shopping anyway. :wink:

So, right now, I've got the closet covered in gasoline and I'm holding the match....I just need to let go....

Man, it feels good to be out to my friends.

(Oh, and do you think it was lame of me to come out through texting? I put in the bulletin that they could call if they wanted... Does it seem cowardly?)

2. ArcaneVerse

Congrats on coming out to your friends!!.
    Its also nice to hear your Homophobic friend is trying its a good sign.
    & Parents = weird like that sometimes, but they usually only want the best.
    I don't think it was lame or cowardly of you to come out via text what ever gets the job done =P Sometimes a face to face confrontation is too much to handle doesn't make you a coward or weak at all.

3. JT

JT

It's good to hear that you had good enough friends to stick through this endeavor with you. It's great to hear the homophobic friend is going to at least make an effort :slight_smile:

4. ausdtc

Awesome! It sounds like you have a great and supportive group of friends around you. Your *really* straight friend's response was fantastic even though he considers himself homophobic :grin:

I wish you luck with your parents when you're ready to let them know (*hug*)

5. Miles D

That's pretty much how I came out, except it wasn't "if you wanna know something, I'll tell you"... but I think thats a really cool way to do it.
    And I bid you good luck in all of your coming outs to come!

6. biisme

Congratulations!!!

Posting something like that takes a lot of courage. To actually tell them when they ask takes even more.

7. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Yay congrats! ^_^

8. Nitro

1. About the friends - that is completely awesomerific! It took some guts, and it seems to have gone over well.

2. Parents ... don't sweat it. This site proves many things, and one of them is that parents usually don't have their gaydar looking over their offspring. Just be honest with yourself, and cross that bridge when it comes.

:thumbsup:

9. Zexion

I agree, it was hard to answer!

When my homophobic friend asked me I almost didn't send it. << But then I was like, "I need to do this." and closed me eyes, counted to ten, and sent it. XD

Thanks for all the congrats and support guys!

10. Mickey

What you did took courage. Especially being willing to answer questions.
    The way you did it (text) is not important,at all. People do what makes them feel more comfortable. I'm glad your homophobic friend is trying. Maybe once he knows YOU,he'll become less homophobic and more accepting. And good luck on any future endeavors.:eusa_clap

11. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Thats awesome congrats

12. Noah

ALMOST the exact way I did it. Mine was a note on facebook. It was great to come out, but it also got me in a lot of trouble when a friend went behind my back and told my parents. Don't tell everyone that asks! Lesson learned lol

13. Witch of the We

California's version of Munchkinland and the West
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Jamie!(!) Speaking of coming out how did your parents take it? Oh, and the homophobic friend took it rather well.