1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic Schools

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nixon, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Nixon

Do they kick you out when you come out?
    What about other Christian Schools?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Not necessarily, but some have. I've even read incidences of them kicking children out of their schools if they find out their parents are lesbians. It just depends on where you live and how strict they are, I guess.

3. Noah

Other christian schools can. They don't always.
    I'd assume catholic schools are the same way.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure they can kick you out but I haven't heard of that happening.

5. posta0

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know this is a little old, but i am new and since i went to an all male catholic high school i thought i would share my observation.

While in high school i was hiding very deep in my closet and made it through high school avoiding any suspension of me being gay. Those who were not as lucky as me were very often ridiculed constantly, were the but of jokes and frequently talked about (not in a positive way) when they were not around.

People calling things gay, fags, and other inappropriate words was something you heard constantly. Never did you hear teachers or other students correcting those comments and there was certainly no place a gay student could go for help.

The worst things is my mom worked in the school office and i often heard her and other faculty and staff making gay jokes.

One thing i am not very proud of as i would often engage in calling people gay of fag to avoid the speculation being place upon me, especially since my mom worked at the school.

While it was diffently not a friendly environment i never saw or heard any student was kicked out of school for being gay.

6. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To Posta0: That is so sad! I hate how mean teens in school can be!!!!!!

Im not sure if they can kick people out or not IDK if Private schools have the same procedures as public ones.

7. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, as far as I've heard (and I've been pretty much brought up in Christian Girl Schools) it doesn't happen in the UK. However, as far as the whole "That's so gay" comments go, it happens everywhere.

I hear there a few bi/lez's in my school, but I can't say that they're well known, perhaps they down play it, I don't know, but I can safely say that Private schools tend to be more accepting, rather then making a whole song and dance about it.

I wouldn't say that Christian schools are strict in the sence the all pupils should be Christian cos they would be very small if it were that way, so I doubt your sexuality will be much grounds to chuck you out. I doubt they would do it, since they would get bad press...

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Private schools are allowed to discriminate to nearly any degree since they don't get state funding. Unless you have a few certain friends who you really want to come out to, I would keep quiet for a little while just to be safe.

9. Noah

happened to me. trust me, it happens

10. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O_O
    [is going to a catholic school]
    ...[and is out of the closet]
    ...Maybe accessing EC at school isn't a good idea either..

But wait, did they have another reason for kicking you out or was it just simply "You're teh gayz. GTFO"?

I'm expecting sooner or later some teachers to be a bit thingy about the gay people at school.. But being kicked out is just overboard.

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The teachers at my school aren't much better. One of them constantly mocks gay people and uses us as the subject of his jokes more than any other minority. Another said of two guys who hugged each other after a sports victory, "I've never seen two guys who wanted to touch each other more badly than those two". One teacher corrected the word usage on one of her tests so it wouldn't sound like she was using a gay person in an example question. Not a single teacher has openly supported LGBT people, and there's only one I can think of who seems like she might be a "closeted" supporter.

12. I'm not sure this is true, I just heard it through the grapevine. Last year at a nearby Catholic school two gay boys were caught kissing in the halls, and it led to all of the gay students being thrown out along with them.

13. HighintheClouds

.. And this is in America?!

Whoa...
    Well, I'm attending a Catholic school now. My last school was a Catholic school. I've never heard of anybody being kicked out on the basis of their sexuality. Even here, I've gone to one of the people way up there in the school ladder (he's a priest and is quite influential in the pastoral issues from what I gather) about my sexuality and he's been very accepting about it.

I talked to my coordinator before and asked him what would happen if there were gay people in the school. He just looked at me and smiled and chuckled a bit, saying, "Why should anything happen? It's alright!" or something to that extent anyway..

And still... I never expected that this sort of thing happened in America..

14. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Location and the attitudes of the school have a lot to do with it. I'd bet that a socially conservative Catholic school in the southeast is more likely to throw out a gay student than a moderate Catholic school on the west coast.

15. acorn7

Most of them probably don't, but I wouldn't be surprised if some did. My (girl) friend goes to a super-Christian boarding school in St. Louis and they reserve the right to throw out openly gay students. Which sucks.

But my thinking is... if the school hates gays enough to expel them, why stay there anyway? I wouldn't like to...

16. Derek the Wolf

They will not kick you out. But things may be rough for you.
    PM me or write on my wall if you wanna talk about it. I came out in a Catholic School this year, and things are going pretty good. Always here to talk. (*hug*)

17. STK

STK Guest

From my experience, they won't kick you ouyt. But that may just be the one I go to. I'm out to everybody there. In fact somebody actually got in trouble there for saying some VERY anti-gay things to me and threatening me.

18. Alexander

The majority of the catholic community will NOT kick you out of a school because you're gay. Especially if you identify as catholic. However, they regularly restrict same-sex couples from attending prom and other school "couple" events.