1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told my Christian mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ElizabethAnne, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ElizabethAnne

Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to post this note, and hopefully it will be encouraging to someone.

When I first started dating my gf, I thought that I could keep it a secret, and I thought it would be no problem. I wondered about all these people who were "obsessing" with telling their parents, and I wondered why they were bothering creating problems for themselves. However, about two months ago, I started feeling like I needed to tell my mom, and that keeping it a secret was making me feel all rotten inside. I wanted to wait to tell her until after I'd moved out, just in case she was furious and told my aunt and uncle who I was living with, and they kicked me out.

I was really worried about telling my mom because she's a fundamentalist Christian, and really, really does not agree with homosexuality. I was worried because of everything that I'd ever grown up with her telling me that being gay was just absolutely wrong.

Last Tuesday, I knew that that was the day that I had to tell her. So I called her up.

She said "Honey do you have a bed?" (Remember, I'd just moved)
    I said "Yep. Two guys from the lab moved in together, and they are sharing a bed, so they gave it to me."
    She paused. "What? Are they GAY?"
    "Yep." Awkwardness on my part, cuz I knew what was going on in her mind.
    "Have you prayed over the bed? There will be demons of homosexuality on it."
    "No Mom. You know, I don't really care about that."
    *Silence.*
    "Mom, can I tell you something?"
    "Sure, honey."
    "I'm in love with a girl!" Pause. "Do you hate me now?"
    "No, no, honey. Of course I don't hate you. You're my daughter, and I love you!"

She still loves me! She may believe in the "demons of homosexuality", she may say the word gay with caps, but I'm still her daughter, and she still loves me. Isn't that awesome? She's still talking to me. She even asked how my girlfriend was, and said 'hi' to her on the phone. It's way better than I could have ever hoped for!!

Everyone's coming out stories are different, and this one was strange but awesome at the same time.

2. skwidge

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow that does sound awesome! I'm so happy for you that your mum was so good about it :grin: And I liked how you sort of warmed up the conversation to homosexuality first hahaha it was great!

3. byeee

Inspiring... hope my mom will have the same reaction :grin:

4. Demons of homosexuality.

:grin: I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make fun of your mom. That just made me giggle.

Anyways, congrats! I'm glad she took it well. And that's so sweet about her saying hi to your girlfriend on the phone! Hope everything keeps going well for you. ~megan~

5. Tim

Tim

Congrats! Lol @ Demons of Homosexuality, my mom (who's a christian minister) would always talk about how "The gays stole the color Rainbow from me!" And she still does =P

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It made me laugh too. That's a cute story and it is inspiring for others. Thank you for sharing. Your mom sounds like a character.

7. InaRut

Wow total 180 (Demons of Homosexuality- No problem) on that reaction! hahaha Yea :slight_smile: Good work.

8. HighintheClouds

Haha.. I wish you the best of luck..

I'm just worried that she may be formulating a plan and then will present it to you one day about 'curing' your homosexuality..

Because there are those parents who can accept homosexuality in others but not their own children..

9. My friends mother is like that. Has no problem with my being bi but her own daughter (my friends sister) is a lesbian and she has nuclear meltdowns whenever its brought up.

I'm glad your mom said she still loves you though, that was a pretty cool reaction and it does seem like she did a complete 180. In a good way though.

10. Jim1454

Demons of Homosexuality in the bed, huh? Do we leave those where ever we sleep with our bfs - or just in our own beds? If it's anywhere, then there's a hotel room in Quebec City that other hotel guests are having trouble sleeping in! :grin:

I'm really glad that she has come to accept you and your orientation as well as it seems. I have to believe that some people just need to actually know a gay or lesbian person to see that we're 'normal' people that deserve their respect and love - just like anyone else.

11. biisme

That was so sweet. I really liked her reaction, and of the course the preceding remark about the demons. :grin:

12. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

That's really great, I'm glad it went well

13. Endlessnight500

OMG Thats Exactly how my mom took it. She was all talking about Demons of Homosexuality, and I came out to her, and she said she still loved me, no matter what, that I was her son, and no matter what I did she would always love me, nothing would change that. I guess we have very similar Moms.

14. HighintheClouds

But then my parents go that they'll always love me, just that they'll never accept my being a homosexual...

Now that sucks...

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Then there are the parents who are totally fine with homosexuality, but when they find out their own kid is one, they get a little nervous. You, fortunately, have a mom with some brains left in her.

16. Amy

Amy

congrats. your mom seems to be reasonably understanding of you, her daughter, as she should.

at least its not wispered
    "are they, you know... *leans in and says in a wisper* gay?"

17. kaii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My dad is very Christian and his reaction to me saying I was going to a youthgroup for bi and gay teenagers was 'Why?' even though I'd told him about 8 months before... Most of my church are ok with it, at least the younger generation, which is encouraging. He still is a bit 'blink' whenever I talk about liking a girl but he's pretty cool with it. Parents are good with surprising you like that.

18. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

Congratulations! I'm glad your mother took it so well. :grin:
    I want to tell my parents, but am also dreading it because they're Christian and against being gay... here's to hoping coming out to them goes as well as it did for you. :newcolor:

19. silentsound

that just rocks.

20. Psychedelic Bookmarks

That's great! Good luck with any future difficulties with her, because it sounds like it may not be happy roses all the time... but for now, well done and congrats!