1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told someone for the first time today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by scully, Oct 8, 2014.

1. scully

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I impulsively told my mom I was gay today, and it went really well. She said she loved me no matter what and this didn't change anything. I know I should feel liberated and freer, but I think I regret telling her? I don't know why and I'm just so upset.

I guess it's because it's real now? I know I've always been a lesbian and I'm sure of myself but I'm still so stressed out by admitting it.

Did anyone else feel this way/does this feeling ever go away?

2. Blossom85

I think it's wonderful your Mum took it really well.. And I think it could be a natural feeling sometimes when you come out to that first person, it's out there and we can't change it now, but coming out can make us more vulnerable as well, so I think there is nothing wrong with that feeling. I think in time it will go away, especially as more people come to know and you will start to feel more relaxed about it all.

3. Munyal

That's excellent! This feeling went away over time for me, but I totally understand that feeling of regret. Eventually, you'll feel better about it, and having your mom behind you will only help!

4. kman33193

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh yeah I feel the exact same way haha. I can't say I'm all the way there yet as I've only just recently started coming out to people, but I'd be lying if I said I still don't get really stressed. I guess we're just scared about the permanence of it all and how people are going to react. And every time you come out to one person you're just like holy shit when you start thinking about all of the other people you still need to talk to about it. I know this isn't the greatest thing to say, but I hope you can realize that there are so many other people, frozen in fear, in the exact same situation. You're not alone (ahh the ultimate cliche).

But knowing that you have someone on your side and someone that you can talk to about this is a serious victory. I remember the first time I told someone, I really regretted it, but eventually I realized that it was for the best. Despite how much I still struggle with anxiety over coming out, there's no telling how worse it would be if I had kept it to myself.

5. scully

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you all for responding; I really appreciate it.
    I'm feeling slightly better, but I still can't believe it happened. Thinking back, it's like a dream haha.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out! (*hug*)

I can understand it. You can finally be yourself now, and that might be a bit scary. The feeling might be a little uncomfortable for now. But you will feel happy about it eventually! :icon_bigg

7. GewfyGlenn

I hear you, I haven't told any family yet, but I came out to my best friend two days ago, and a good buddy and his fiance last night. It was easier the second time, knowing that I had at least one person backing me.

Not sure when I will get around to telling at least my brother (we used to be very close, but grew apart when he moved).

Hope all goes well for you!

8. scully

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, both of you! :slight_smile:

& Congrats on coming our to your friends! I'm still too nervous to do that haha. Good luck in the future!

9. Silas

Congrats! :grin: