1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where I'm At...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mikeyy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mikeyy

Okay, I figured I may as well make my first post in the Coming Out section.

I've known for several years (like, since puberty, which for me was EARLY) that I like guys, but only realised I was completely gay just at the end of last year. So...

The first time I came out was at a picnic on the last day of term 3 last year. So just over 1 year ago. I was with a group of friends and I had promised I would tell them who I liked. Luckily 3 out of 5 of them (they were all female) were bi, so I felt comfortable with coming out to them. But you should have seen how much I was shaking! Basically I just said "I'm bi and I like _________" and they were really cool with it, naturally.

So then I told another 2 girls over lunch at Chadstone (shopping centre) on the holidays. Turns out one of them was bi. So, now up to 7 people, all female.

Moving forward to later that year, I was walking along with 2 of the girls that knew, and two guys, and I said "I'm allowed to be opinionated, I'm gay!". So add another 2 to the total.

This year I've told several more people, but I have one particular favourite - This guy I know was talking to me on msn and said "I wanna ask you a question, if u dont mind and i don't want u to get offended and i probably shouldn't be asking... Are you gay?"

At the time, I really liked this guy (even though he was a lot older than me, like it would be seen as inappropriate if we went out...) so I told him straight away yes. I asked him if he was bi (I'd heard a rumour) and he said yes (well, not quite that bluntly). So then we went on to talk about hot guys that we knew. That was a good one:icon_wink

Most recently, I told 4 people in my Theatre Studies class today.

Still haven't figured out a way to do the big one... My parents... :confused:

2. MacAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like all positive reactions so far! Parents is usually the hardest hurdle. Good luck dude, seriously though, if you have any inkling at all that they'll be accepting of it, or at least tolerant, just get it out of your system! it feels SO good to have it off your chest, you really have no idea :slight_smile:

3. First of all, congratulations on telling the people you have told! thats brilliant, i'm glad you've had positive reactions! I hope things go as well with your parents when you feel the time is right.

Secondly, Welcome to EC! We're glad to have you on board =) Welcome to the family XD

4. biisme

welcome to EC!!!

and, congratulations on your successes!!!!!

where do your parents stand on homosexuality?

5. Mikeyy

I'm sure my mum would be fine with it - her sister (my aunty) is a lesbian, and my mum is pretty accepting of everyone. It's just that I've been pretending to be straight for so long that I don't feel confident in telling her.

I'm a bit worried about how my little brother will react (he's 13). And I don't want him to go telling all his friends (there's a reason.... I might elaborate in a thread on the support forum).

I'm glad I found EC, I was a member on gov, but of course, it's not GLBT-centric.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Well done on all those great comings-out! If your aunt is gay then your Mum should be alright. At 15 she can't be suprised if you're gay... I think she will quite quickly accept it at that age. The last few years maybe you've been pretending to be interested in girls, but I seriously don't think it will be a major obstacle. I you need to tell her, just explain honestly about how those past interests were false. Good luck if you do do it!

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on your coming out thus far. Glad that your experiences have been so positive...

In terms of coming out to your mom, it sounds like that she will be accepting and very supportive. I think she will understand how difficult this is for you. However, it is important that you tell your parents when you feel ready for it. Don't rush it. You have to feel comfortable with it. Does your aunt know? If not, maybe you could come out to her first before you tell your mom. I think this could give you a bit more confidence in coming out to her. Good Luck!