1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Happy Story or How I Came Out to My Dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by roseofgeek, Nov 11, 2014.

1. roseofgeek

Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out is scary especially when a person is coming out to their loved ones. My dad and I have always been close, he has always been someone I could talk to about anything. He is also one of the most accepting and open minded people I have ever known. The exact opposite of my controlling and close minded mum. My parents are high school sweet hearts who have been together for over thirty years and I'm not sure what attracted them to each other. Even though my dad is open minded and accepting it was still hard for me to come out to him.

I came out to my dad earlier this year and it wasn't planned. He had picked me up from university and we were driving home. I realized that this could be it, I could come out to him. I had always imagined sitting my parents down and telling them together. I knew in that moment that I needed dad to know in case mum ever found out. My mum is the type of person that has her life and the lives of her children and husband planned in detail, anything that changes those plans is negative in her mind. Once I found the courage to speak I proceeded to ask my dad exactly what he thought of LGBT+ people. His response was very positive. I was silent for a minute before I told him. It was the second hardest thing I have ever done. He was very accepting of my sexuality. We both agreed that it will be hard for my mum to accept even though she will have to find out one day.

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done roseofgeek. You must feel a huge relief! Having your Dad on side will be a great help when it comes to telling your mother. But there's no hurry to tell her yet. Do it when you are ready.

3. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out! I'm glad it went well for you. :slight_smile:

4. rainbowdesi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats on coming out to your dad! Cheers :grin: