1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, I did it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ashira, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ashira

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's taken me a really long time. But I told my mom tonight. Like...thirty minutes ago, actually. And it went a lot better than I thought it would. But..I still feel really scared. I thought I would feel relieved and happy but I don't. I feel even worse now.

Is that normal?
    I feel lost.

<3ashira

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, how exactly did it go? Any shouting? Were the words "choice" or "lifestyle" tossed around?

And your out status needs changing now.

3. ashira

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No no "choice" or "lifestyle" ing.
    I guess...It went well. I cried. A lot. Like a baby. And she just held me and told me that it was okay and that she still loved me no matter what and to sleep on it and that she would sleep on it. And I was her little girl no matter what. Kinda lame, but it made me feel okay.
    But I still just feel like she was holding back I guess.
    And I think I was a little pissed because she kind of treated it like it was just a phase and I was just confused or something.
    And Im' a junior in high school, and I've only been thinking about this since like..sixth grade. So I know it's not a phase.
    And I tried to talk to my friend and second girl love Beth about it but she didn't get it and she just made me cry some more.

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, you're in a tough situation. It's perfectly normal to still feel unusual or afraid after coming out to a parent, especially with the flat reception she seemed to give you. The best thing you can do is to be happy that she didn't try to convert you or throw you out, and don't push it in her face too much. You can talk freely about the subject as long as she's fine with it, but don't start using your sexuality as a weapon for revenge or taunting.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mom. You have taken a major step!

It is very normal to have mixed feelings. It seems like that your mom is trying to come fully to terms with it herself. Often for parents it does come as a surprise and often they are not sure how to react or what to say as they have to come to terms with it themselves. For the most part, parents think they know their children and have their own dreams for them. Your mom, might need a bit of time to adjust.

Try to take comfort in knowing that she is accepting, still loves you and is there for you. With time, your mom will come around to it.