1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Commenza, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I never thought that I would come out to my mom as bisexual unless I had a girlfriend.

A couple of days ago, I was talking to my mother on the phone (we live far away from each other so we can't see each other often) when she mentioned that she had watched a documentary about gay and bisexual people and how they had it so hard coming out to friends and family. My mother said that it's stupid how society discriminates against sexual minorities and that was the reason I felt this was a good opportunity to come out to her.

So yeah, I said that I was bisexual. I noticed how that was totally out of the blue for her. She seemed really shocked and asked me a couple of things...

...are you sure?
    ...have you ever had a girlfriend?
    ...so you think women are attractive?

Well, I told her that I never had a girlfriend and she replied that I couldn't know then. I went on explaining to her how I have had crushes on girls and she seemed to believe me (even though I could tell that she felt uncomfortable with the thought.)

The phone call ended with her saying that she couldn't say anything else right now. I badly cried afterwards and I felt like I had done the wrong thing.

Yesterday, I called her again and everything seemed normal between us. She didn't mention the topic anymore and I'm not sure if she truly understands and believes me. But I actually did it. As long as she doesn't think that I'm weird, I'm ok with that to be honest.

Now, I've come out to all the people who matter to me :slight_smile: I still have mixed feelings coming out to my mom, though. I always thought that this would be the scariest thing. I hope things will be as always between us.

Thank you for reading!

#1 Commenza, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. kumawool

It sounds like, even though the topic may make her deeply uncomfortable, that she loves you and bisexuality isn't going to come between your relationship with your mother. The last few generations come from a different time, and even though they're starting to understand homosexuality, bisexuality is a leap further. It likely is concerning, because your mother doesn't know which gender you're going to end up with!

But seeing as she's continued to talk to you, and responded with probing information type questions, she's not exactly blinded by rage or hate. All in all, that was a very okay response :slight_smile:

3. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I think that her reaction was ok. She probably just never thought I could be anything than straight and that took her by surprise. But you know, after the phone call, I felt horrible and ashamed. Now I'm feeling better but it's still a little weird...