1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my best friend!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Stromer, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Stromer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Being bisexual is much easier than being gay because it takes less effort to pretend you're straight... At least, I thought so until I found myself alone in the closet with not a single soul around. The things that seem pretty natural to me would confuse or even scare people and I know it too good.

So I decided to come out to my best friend N., the only one who's never told me a bad word about my clothes, hair and voice. He is absolutely straight and we've never talked about LGBT before. I felt just... you know, the state of 'come what may'. Somewhere deep inside my brain I knew everything's gonna be OK but my hands were shaking as I was typing the message:

"Hi! Don't laugh at me, but a few weeks ago I realized boys and girls always attracted me equally. In other words, I'm bisexual. I've been one since my childhood but it was too scary to confess even to myself... Greetings, now you're the only person who knows! I'm ready for any reaction so feel free to say what you really think, just don't tell anyone else".

Oh God, the waiting lasted for ten minutes! I think he just didn't know what to say :icon_mrgr The answer came when I was half-dead of emotion. And it was like:

"XO Don't worry, I had a gay friend at school so I understand. So how strong the attraction is, ha (if u know what I mean)?)) "

As a result, we spent an hour talking about girls, boys, politics and homophobia as if nothing happened. He's accepted me real, woohoo!

P.S.:
    For those who's still in the closet. There're two important things I've understood (might be useful):
    1. If you're sure the person is homophobic then don't come out until you have a real need or a rational reason. My friend is a fan of anime and Marilyn Manson plus he doesn't mind walking in front of an androgynous person (i.e., me). I know he's an adequate one so it wasn't dangerous and I threw away all the needs & rationality and came out to feel alive. On the other hand, my parents would just kick me out and change phone numbers. My decision wasn't spontaneous.
    2. The first coming out... It's better to say it to someone who has nothing to do with the people you don't want to come out to (for ex., homophobic parents). It's all about gossips. Fortunately, my friends never visit my home and my family doesn't even know their faces.

I hope my little story will encourage someone the way stories from here encouraged me. Good luck, guys! :slight_smile:

2. mellybear01

mellybear01 Guest

sounds like you had a good experience ! ♥

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to Empty Closets, and thanks for sharing what you have learned about coming out. Congratulations on coming out to your best friend, and taking that all important first step. Well done. :slight_smile:

4. Stromer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh, thank you very much! ^__^

5. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done Stromer. You have a really good friend. And good advice too!