1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ArcusPuer, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ArcusPuer

Well i just joined EC and figured i should post my coming out story, for maybe someone else can find comfort in it. or not or whatever, but i know before i came out i read about 200 coming out stories with varying results, but i think it was mainly good reactions, thats beside the point. ok so a week prior to my coming out (i was 13 at the time and had a girlfriend, nothing serious well except it tended to be quite emotional at times) anyway i felt sick, for about a week i ate bare minium and i cried so many times in that week. so so many. it felt odd, because i knew i was gay in that week, and the fact that i had acknowledged that made me feel terrible, i wasn't religious so there wasn't any turmoil of that sort, but i felt the public opinion of gays to be rather bad, what with people referencing them to aids and everything they hate (the "thats so gay" statement). but eventually i told my best friend (lets call her m) to meet me after school. she asked was it serious and i simply nodded, so anyway i sat there for almost an hour talking around in circles saying about how just a month ago i would never have done what i was about to do. it must have been quite frustrating for her, but she just sat there and nodded her head the whole time. eventually i got so pissed off at myself for not being able to form teh words that i put it in a text on my phone and simply handed her the phone "I'm gay" i then cried and she comforted me and she said she was perfectly fine with it, in fact she was kind of happy because now we could talk about pretty much everything. I am so amazingly grateful to her for that.
    The next day i ate less than bare minium at dinner (as i still wanted to tell my parents but couldn't) and my father noticed, he asked if anything was wrong and i said no.
    well later that nght, my brother and sister weren't home so i went into my parents bedroom where they were sitting up reading and told them i needed to tell them something. so i sat next to my mother while my dad kept guessing what it was that i needed to tell him, i was half crying this entire time, looking at my hands and mouthing "I'm gay" i eventually (probably took me an hour) voiced what i had been mouthing and my mum hugged me tight as i broke down, then came the "it doesn't matter" "we still love you" and dad said "it's not like im gonna say to people "oh this is my son and two daughters (there are three of us, two boys one girl)" which then made me cry even more,. he then said "and maybe its just a phase I DONT KNOW" at which i screamed "ITS NOT A FUCKING PHASE!" so he asked "Do you like girls?" i answered no, "so do you like boys?" i said yes and burst into yet another set of tears. Then he went to recount how he had felt that way about a close male friend he had had at 13 to which mum told him to shut up he wasnt helping to which he was all hysterical pacing and throwing his arms up. He also said "if your gay then why do you have so many girls that are friends" to which i started to explain and then said "isn't that the obvious bit" and then came a talk about coming out to which they said i should only tell someone if i think it is really necesary(to which i have found it is neccesary if you are ever to discuss sex because otherwise you feel dishonest and have to pretend and being 13 sex comes up almost 5 times a day). so the night ended AFTER 3 HOURS and they said thankyou for me having told them and i went to bed and actually slept for the first time in that week.

since then i have told about 20 people and am feeling no pressure to tell more, all have reacted fantastically and supportively.
    i came out to my girlfriend and now we are pretty damn close friends.
    I plan to come out to everyone probably aged 15 or 16. one of the reasons being at this age no one takes u seriously, like i hear family friends talk of one of our old friends who recently came out as a lesbian (she is 17) and they still say its a phase or a "bid for attention". its rather depressing.

2. Mikeyy

yay! i recruited someone! so i should do the honours...

Welcome to EC!

and why was i the last to know out of our group of friends??? that kind of bugged me...

3. ArcusPuer

well not that this really belongs in a forum but...
    you were the last to know only because you didnt pester me as to why i broke up with...(keeping it relatively unidentifiable) the others did and within half an hour of nagging i gave into the swede. the French one i told the next day.
    oh hey u knew before the redhead and happiness
    ok this is gonna make no sense to anyone who doesnt know me...
    everyone but mikey ignore this...

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It is so hard to come out to parents. I just don't understand how they can look at their child when they are telling them this gut wrenching news and says "its a phase". I hope your Dad is dealing with this better now. Thank you for sharing your story.

5. ArcusPuer

Thanks Becky, and well yes and no, i know he has a little difficulty with it, but i know he is trying. like the other day he saw a message i was reading from a girl and it ended with "xx miss you so much!" or something and he was like "you know, ur like that guy from 10 things i hate about you." to which i looked confused as he attempted to say "you know, the gay guy who is best friends with teh main character." to which i responded "nice try dad, but wrong movie." which although he screwed up a pop reference, the fact that he referenced me being gay as simple conversation really got me. like in a good way i was happy that he was trying to be "normal" about it.
    i know he loves me, he just needs\ed time to get used to the idea that his son isn't going to lead teh normal family life he would have wanted for me.

6. Tim

Tim

I wish I had thought of that... I've only had 2 guy friends that my mom met, and only 1 of those I considered a best friend XD They never found it odd all my other friends were girls...

That was a touching and sad story, all at the same time o.o

7. george678

Well done.