1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally Free.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by NotSoNormalHuh, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So recently I reached a point where I was tired of being closeted and finally got the courage come out to my parents. I know many of you will probably go tl;dr but for those who care:

I had been contemplating my coming out for a very long time. I knew for sure I wouldn’t be able to say the words “I’m gay” out loud and to their faces so I put everything I wanted to say in a letter. I began writing it late Wednesday night and finished it when I got home from school Thursday. I then printed it out and set it on my mom’s dresser so she would find it when she got home from work. Here is the letter:

So anyway my mom read it first I think but didn’t say anything and acted normal, then my dad got home and they went into their room for a bit. I was scared shitless and shaking so badly. They then came out and acted normal and didn’t say anything about it for a while. I thought they went into denial/were pissed at first until later on when my mom finally came over to hug me and say she loves me and wants to talk. I told her after I finished my chemistry homework which I did.

So I was really nervous for the talk so I sat down and said “I’m ready to talk.” The talk began with them asking me “How I knew I was gay/came to this decision” and I told them that you just know if you are and that it’s not a choice. My dad kind of drilled me on this one and I was a little frustrated but he finally said ok.

My mom then began to say that she wasn’t totally shocked and she had the possibility of me being gay in the back of her mind because of something that happened; she couldn’t remember what it was though. My dad on the other hand was really shocked.

They then went onto ask things like “When I began having these feelings” (Junior High), “Am I seeing anyone/liking any guys at my school” (No and I haven’t had sex yet either), “Do you believe in God/Religion” (Not really... They were even ok with this), “Do you want kids” (Maybe).

My dad also warned me to be careful and make sure I’m positive that I know I’m gay before I tell people/act on it because it could come back to hurt me if I figure out I'm not... I definitely know that I am gay though.

The next thing made a little frustrated because my mom then began to talk about the risk of aids and stds. I didn’t get mad though, I simply responded that straight people are just as much at risk and that gay guys being sex hungry is just a stereotype.

Things then turned pretty emotional after that because my mom revealed that one of her co-workers son’s recently tried to commit suicide and that I had displayed similar signs that he had. She began to cry which made me cry because I realized how much I must’ve hurt and worried her. She told me how thankful she was to read in my letter that I’d never hurt myself and told me that nothing is worth taking my life over.

So that’s basically how it went. It really shocked me and opened my eyes because my parents were the complete opposite of what I expected. Not once did they yell or get mad at me. They told me that they could never hate me and will always love me no matter what. They also stressed how they just want me to be happy and if that involves being gay then ok. And they both agreed that they won’t tell anyone about my sexuality unless I want them to because they don’t feel it’s their place to mention it. Also my mom who’s a hardcore republican even said her views of gays will probably change now that she knows about me.

Anyway it just feels really great to finally be out after all these years of knowing and being worried. I feel much closer with my parents now and fortunate to have them. I even get the impression they’ll be fine with me bringing my boyfriend around them when I get one. I still have yet to tell my friends at school. I probably will soon though.

Thanks for reading and if you have any questions or are confused about something feel free to ask me.

2. EM68

Congrats! Thats a great letter. I am glad it went well. :thumbsup:

3. crimsonarcher

beautiful letter!
    and congrats!
    hope you live life to the greatest extents possible!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations Brad! If your mom would like to talk to another mother feel free to PM me and I will give you my e-mail address. It might also help to tell them about PFLAG and how helpful it is to parents of gay kids. They can find a chapter near them at www.pflag.org . I loved what you said about your mom being a "hardcore Republican" and how this would probably change how she feels about gay people. :grin: I'm really proud of you and I'm proud of how your parents responded. Yeah!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Glad that it went well for you. It's wonderful that your parents responded well.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like it went well for you! Congrats. :thumbsup:

7. Mickey

Congratulations...to both you and your parents. Thank you for sharing your
    story here. Happiness always... Mickey**

8. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on a great coming out!

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Awwww, glad to hear it went well :grin:

10. Fiorino

Congrats! (*hug*)
    You have a lot of courage, and I'm glad that
    it worked out well.

11. Astaroth

Congrats! This is great news. The hardest two are down now. You've got a great set of parents.

12. Nodnarb

Congrats!

This part really made me start to tear up. Almost the exact same thing happened when I came out to my parents.

13. Noah

That is amazing! Congrats

14. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well for you. :slight_smile:

15. just wanna B me

Wow ! your whole experience definitely brought a tear to my eye.. actually a few!!
    I'm super glad for you .. I am glad to see so many people do the letter thing.. i used to do that when I was younger.. but just assumed the "adult thing" to do was having to verbally say things..
    thanks for being an inspiration. .. still gotta work on mine tho

16. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

congrats :eusa_clap

17. george678

Well done i get scared etc telling me friends let alone Mum and Dad.:eek:
    It has to be done.:frowning2:

18. Sam

Sam

That is really great congrats! I am so happy that it went so well for you. You have great parents.

19. confounded88

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You are soooo brave. I wish I could do it.

20. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The thread is from 2008 so its more than likely that the OP has moved on by now :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.