1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 and Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MissBookworm, Dec 7, 2014.

1. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. I'm 13. I know that may seem young to most of you, but think. This may not be true for everyone, but I know that some people knew that they were gay at 4 years old. Now, on with my story. I prefer gay to lesbian, only in the way that some people prefer feminine to girly. To me, gay and lesbian are synonymous.

I was about 9 when I had those first feelings of attraction to girls. Back then, I didn't even know what they meant. It wasn't until I was 11 or 12 that I realized what they actually were. I still wasn't comfortable with my sexuality then, being so young and knowing no other lesbians, gays, bisexuals, trans-genders or otherwise. It wasn't until I was 13 (this year) that I came out of the closet for the first time.

I was at a Bat Mitzvah party, and it was in the middle of the montage. There was a girl there that I had a crush on, and looked particularly attractive that night. I had this overwhelming feeling of needing to come out at some point to someone. I took my phone out and texted my best friend to meet me in the bathroom after the montage was over. We did, and I just blurted out to her, "I'm gay." Her first reaction was, "Are you serious?" as if I was lying to her. She then asked if I was attracted to her. I told her I wasn't, but I don't think she believed me completely. Her brother is gay, so I guess that's why she tried to get me to tell my parents.

Growing up in a Jewish family shouldn't seem as bad as growing up in a really religious Catholic family, but my parents have inadvertently expressed their intolerance of the LGBTQ community. I still haven't come out to them due to this. I honestly think I might wait until I'm 18.

To those of you who are still in the closet, here's the one thing I realized. Once I was sure of my sexuality, there was always a sense of unease and turmoil in my mind. The night I came out for the first time, it was like a lump in my throat that I didn't know existed suddenly vanished. In my humble opinion, coming out is really for yourself, and not for the people around you. (*hug*) Thanks for sitting through my story. (&&&)

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Miss Bookworm!

I agree with you! I'm quite a nerd, so i like to remember my process of coming out as being a huge battle, and the greatest and most powerful enemy was myself, my fear and the prejudices i grew up with. Coming out to friends was hard, but the hardest battle, i won inside my own mind. After that, i was finally free.

3. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a pretty good way to describe coming out! I only wish I could have animated my story in that way. Unfortunately, I'm not the best writer.