1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a teacher....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ColbieMarie, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I am doing an assignment for my Introduction to Special Education class. I had to watch a movie with a special ed person in it. I watched The Other Sister. The main character is mildly retarded, she's got a sister that is gay. We have to do a movie review and answer a bunch of questions, one of them being, which character do you relate to? I would like to say the gay sister, but I don't like my teacher for this class and I don't really want to come out to her via a stupid assignment, so I'm not sure what I'll write for this question...too bad it's due in just an hour...

2. Starshine16

Well first of all I LOVE that movie!!!!

Second of all you shouldn't feel forced to come out to a teacher just because you identify with the gay sister in the movie.If you feel like she's forcing you to come out,without realizing that you are gay yourself,then don't write about the gay sister.I know people would say that you need to be true to yourself,but there's a difference between being true to yourself and not wanting to come out to your teacher.You need to decide if being yourself is the most important thing or if you can somehow identify with another character so you don't have to come out to your teacher.

3. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

I agree with the above poster-- don't feel the obligation to come out to your teacher through the paper if you don't want to. Just pick the character you identify with second, or something to that extent.

4. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I decided against it. I think if it was the end of the semester I so would have, but there are still two months left of the semester and I know if I would have put that, each time I went to class I would feel her judging me. Idk, I just thought it would be kind of funny if I did that.

5. Starshine16

If it makes you feel any better I would have done the same thing that you did.You made the right choice.I know I would have felt like she was judging me as well.

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure plenty of people have had judgmental teachers before. If you're not comfortable telling them, don't. It will mean much less stress on you, and that far outweighs the minor satisfaction of being true to yourself in this case.