1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Alsaka, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Alsaka

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If someone could proof read this for me that would be great haha.

There is something I should have told you a long time ago, because it’s a big part of who I am and have always been, I don’t know that there is an easy way to say this, so I’ll be blunt and get to the point. I’m Gay!! I have known I was gay for a very long time, as far back as I can remember I knew. Articulating that I’m gay doesn’t in any way change who I am, I was gay before you read this and I will be gay after. I’m still the same boy you raised and loved. Growing up there were two times I almost came out, but didn’t due to fear; fear that I would be hated, homeless, and alone if I did, I don’t know if these feelings were justified or not, but it was what scared me more then anything growing up. Things may have been harder had I come out earlier, I doubt it, I know I would have been a lot happier if I had.

For 20 years I hated myself, and lived in fear; fear that I was unlovable, fear that I would be abandoned, fear that I would be alone. I hated who I was, and who I was attracted to, I would not let myself love or be loved. It took 21 years but I am happy with who I am, who I have always been, I’m finally happy, happier than I have been in my entire life, and I will NOT live in fear.

Being gay does not change the things I want out of life. I want to travel and explore world, an education, to live long, and to be happy. I want to do well and live comfortably in a place I can call my own, I want a family to love and support me, and a husband to stand by my side. I know those things may not be the way you pictured them, but that doesn't mean I haven’t been imaging them that way for years.

Telling you this is probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. It terrifies me more then you could possible imagine that you will stop loving me. If you can’t accept me as I am, I will forgive you. If I’m no longer part of the family, know that I will not shed any tears, and I will forgive you. If you need some time, I understand, it took me twenty years, I hope it won’t take you as long.

#1 Alsaka, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would try to frame your letter a little bit more positively, particularly the last paragraph. Try not to assume the worst and put your parents on the defensive; instead focus on how much relief this will bring to you and what a positive step this is in your life.

Most of all though, congrats on building up the courage to do this. I hope you get a supportive, accepting response! :slight_smile:

3. Alsaka

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I will be handwriting this letter and mailing a copy to both my mom and dad, along with a few pamphlets and a book. This is not something I could do face to face with them as I know they will react poorly, and I would not be able to handle that. I dont know that this is any better I made a few changes

There is something I should have told you a long time ago, because it’s a big part of who I am and have always been, I don’t know that there is an easy way to say this, so I’ll be blunt and to the point. I’m Gay!! I have known I was gay for a very long time, as far back as I can remember. Articulating that I’m gay doesn’t in any way change who I am, I was gay before you read this and I will be gay after. I’m still the same boy you raised and loved.

Growing up there were two times I almost came out, but didn’t due to fear. I was afraid I would be hated, homeless, and alone if told anyone I was gay, I don’t know if those feelings were justified or not, but that thought terrified me more than anything growing up. Life may have been harder had I come out earlier, but I know I would have been happier. For 20 years I hated myself and lived in fear, fear that I was unlovable, fear that I would be abandoned, fear that I would be alone. I hated who I was, and who I was attracted to, I would not let myself love or be loved. It took 21 years, but I am happy with who I am, who I have always been, I’m happier now than I have been in my entire life, and I will NOT live in fear any longer.

Being gay does not change the things I want out of life. I want to travel and explore the world, an education, to live long, and to be happy. I want to do well and live comfortably in a place I can call my own. I want a family to love and support me, and a husband to stand by my side. I know those things may not be the way you pictured them, but I have been imaging them that way all my life.

Telling you this is probably the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, and It terrifies me more than you can possibly imagine. As my parents there will always be a spot in my heart for you, so if you need some time, I understand, it took me twenty years, I just hope it won’t take you as long.

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looks great to me, and I think hand-writing it is a nice touch. Good luck! :slight_smile: