1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coming out story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by funkmonk, Oct 20, 2008.

1. funkmonk

Well heres my story im 24 year old male i knew i was gay when i was 12 and last year i came out.

Well one my friends finally got a computer and the internet and me and her started to talk more and became better friends i told her things she told me things etc.

I started to really trust her enough to the point where i thought she would understand about me being gay. So we were chatting and told her i was gay at first she thought i was jokeing but i told her i wasnt i told her not to say anything to her boyfriend who was my best friend who id known for allmost 20 years and allso told her not to tell my brother.

I was so glad i told someone but then my brother who was at her flat went on her computer and was pissed saying your gay? I freaked out and said i was jokeing with her but i wasnt i think alot of people would freak out and lie if someone got pissed at u for being gay.

I was really angry with my friend who i came out too i didnt speak to her for a few days at the end of the week i spoke to her. she was going away for a week and my bro and her b.f were going with her but only for the night and i thought she was angry with me cuz i wasnt invited but thats only cuz there wasnt enough room.

So when i talked to her and i asked her if she was mad at me and she said no. i asked are annoyed that i did that joke and she said no. Then i told her i wasnt too happy with her for telling them and she said so u are gay then and i said yes.

So a week past and she was back just in time for birthday and we all went out i had a good chat with her about it.

At the time my brother and my friend ( her boy friend) still thought it was a joke. So sometimes after my birthday i was online speaking to my friend she was asking whitch guys i fancyed and she went away for a smoke and her b.f came home and read what we were saying.

So he went right on the computer asking if i was gay or not i was shocked when he asked there was no point in saying no cuz he read when i was speaking about to her. So i said yes he seemed fine about it at the time.

She spoke to him about it she said he was fine with it so i was thinking oh well he was going to know at some point and he told me i should tell my brother he will need to know.

So one afternoon we were at there flat and i was really worried about telling him cuz of his reaction before. I didnt have the guts to tell him so my friend was nice enough to tell him for me cuz she would make him understand better.

So thats my story of coming out to my friends and my bro.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm glad it went fairly well. Thanks for sharing and welcome to EC!

3. funkmonk

Thanks. Im glad i found this forum.

4. funkmonk

I thought id add on to my story about how my parents found out.

Well me,my friends and brother were out in town for a night of drinking and one of us didnt get into a club cuz they didnt have id even though they were over 18.

So we decided to go to a gay club but my brother wasnt really up for it and if u read the first part of my story u will know how he first reacted to it. So went to this gay club and brother drank a bit too much.

So we got home and he was upset about something it must been the drink that set it off im not going into what he was upset about cuz thats his deal. Wer living with are parents and my mum wanted to know why he was upset and he started talking to her about stuff and the subject of me being gay must have came up cuz i was just about to go to bed when my mum came through and wanted to talk.

She said sit down i need to talk to u about something ur not in trouble and she said ur brother says ur gay i just looked at the floor for a few seconds in shock and then looked up and said yes. She said its ok and huged me i must have been in shock about it all cuz i didnt cry like i thought i would when i thought about telling them. I asked what about dad and she said she would tell him.

I dunno how i slept after all that but i did the next morning my mum wanted to talk to me asking if i was ok and she said she told my dad and said he would talk to me about it.

He never did talk to me about it maybe he chickened out or she didnt acutaly tell him. They havent said anything at all about it sines just back to normal and its really annoying for me cuz as all of u know its a big deal coming out to ur parents and it seems to them seeing they have never said anything sines that it wasnt a big deal or they have just forgot.

I dont know if they dont want to talk about it or they just feel like they dont want to make me feel werid by talking about it. I really want to talk to them about it but thats just as hard as coming out to them. I know they havent said anything to anyone else in my family cuz at a family party my cousin who allways talks to my mum asked if i had a girl friend.

I still feel that i need to hide it from them:frowning2:

Thanks for reading leave a comment please.

5. EM68

Congrats. it sounds like it went well.

6. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt they have forgotten, but some people don't bring it up because they think you are uncomfortable talking about it. Not coming out to them yourself may have reinforced that. Chances are they don't know you want to talk about it, or decided to wait until you were ready to discuss it.

Maybe you could ask your mom if she told your Dad and then go from there. It sounds like she took it well when your brother told her, so I don't think you should be worried about bringing it up in conversation with her.

7. Enaithor

Congrats!

If and when I come out to my parents I would seriously rather that I just said it and they were like ok and I basically never heard it again?
    I don't know why but I would feel really awkward if they tried to talk to me about it.
    My parents talk about that sort of thing in a very condescending manner, see.

8. Mickey

The way you were outed kind of sucks,but at least your mom was okay with it. I think talking to your mom is a good idea. She may feel awkward or thinks you feel awkward about it. She seems pretty approachable. Give it a shot. Good luck. Mickey**

9. Myke

Myke Guest

Congrats and Thanks for sharing your story!

10. musican

when i came out i told my best friend because i trust her so much and we know everything, good and bad about each other and she still talks to me :slight_smile: i came out and she told me that she kind of knew and i was so glad that i didnt have to hide from everyone.

after i told her she asked if she should mention it to her mom and i agreed that it would be fine. she said 'hey mom, nick told me something' and her mom said 'thats ok, hes still my son'

i wasnt there when she told her mom, but she told me the next day what she said and i was really glad. i went over to my friend house that day and none of us talked about it. the next day my friend told me that her mom wondered if she should have said something to me about how she know and still loves me. i told her that its ok to talk about, but i heard what i needed to hear, 'im still her son'.

now my friends mom talked to her cousin who has many gay friends, and always knew i was gay and they got me info about how its ok to be gay. they also talked about going to the mall just us who knew so we could talk about it. the cousin also has the gay friends so i might meet one of them sometime so we can talk.

my point is, people wont know if youre comfortable talking about it unless you tell them. i know it might be hard, but if you really want to talk, you might have to bring up the subject.

11. sam bob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done on coming out, my parents are like yours, they dont talk about it and we go on just as normel

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad that it went well for you. Congratulations on coming out.

Sometimes, and even though your parents seem to be accepting and supportive, it takes a while for parents to feel comfortable talking about it. If you feel that you want or need to talk about it, maybe you could try talking to your mom over a cup of coffee/tea. It might help her to feel more comfortable about it as well.

13. funkmonk

I just thought id give an update on whats been happening.

More and more people seem to be to finding out about me being gay likely by my friends and people looking at my bebo page.

My mum hasnt said much about it she did say one thing about it not long ago which made me glad cause she didnt forgot or just ignore it people i hardy know are finding out but My mum nor my dad have told any of my relatives well i think my cousins might know cause they have seen my bebo page but havent said anything.

I think maybe my parents havent told any of my relatives for my sake cause maybe they think it would be werid for me or upset me.

#13 funkmonk, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008