1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Closet88, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a new year approaches, I must say I'm quite sad that 2014 is ending, as it's been the best year of my life!

At the start of the year I couldn't even imagine telling anyone that I'm gay. I've been on EC for a few years now and I read about quite a lot of peoples experiences, although I don't comment much. When reading about people coming out I would always be slightly jealous because I never imagined I'd be able to do it, and I certainly didn't plan to do it this year.

I spent 2 months travelling around the USA starting in May, and I went with my best friend. Towards the end of the trip, after having quite a bit to drink, I decided to tell my friend that I was gay! He was cool about it, and I felt great! I even extended my stay in the US after my friend went home to explore more places alone, something I never thought I'd be capable of doing!

After I got home, I went out for drinks with my older sister. I'm not really close to my sister, as we've never really had much in common and there's a 7 year age gap. Anyway, again I got drunk, and eventually told her I'm gay! She was cool, and promised not to say anything to our parents, telling me she was happy if I was happy.

I then proceeded to tell a couple of friends who I knew would be cool about it, and then eventually plucked the courage to tell 2 of my best friends from school on a night out. I went on a holiday with 2 of my cousins (who are also amongst my best friends) in November, and after we were drunk (I know... again) one night, I told them my secret too! The recurring theme continued, with them also telling me they were happy for me and it was cool.

Next up I told 2 friends I work with, until finally on a night out last night (yes I was drunk again) I sent a text to 6 of my remaining best friends who I haven't told yet, pretty much explaining to them that I'm gay. I woke up today with replies from each one of them and every one of them is cool, and said it's no big deal.

So yeah, that's pretty much my year! It's been a great one. I am so glad to have such amazing friends, and feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. My next step will be to tell my parents, which I will do after I've found a place of my own to live, just in case. I've always thought my parents' reaction would be bad, but I guess I've learnt this year that people's reactions aren't always as bad as you think they'll be.

Hope everyone has a great new year, and hopefully this post can inspire you whether you're gay, bi or trans and worrying about how people will react. Trust me, when I first posted on this site a few years ago, I never thought I'd tell anyone! Now I've told nearly everyone!

I'll finish with a quote which I feel really sums up the whole coming out experience:

"We'd worry a lot less about what other people think about us if we realised how seldom they do."

2. Lyana

Happy New Year Closet88 and congratulations! I really liked reading your account, it's such a happy, relieving one.

Good luck with your parents, but you've already done so much.

3. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Lyana :slight_smile:.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself for once in my life. This is a strange feeling haha.

Happy New Year :slight_smile:.

4. TheSeeker

You rock! Been waiting for this for a while!!

Welcome to the Out Crowd my friend!

-The Seeker